Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EVERYTHING in my home folder is missing including the toolbar guest login is fine

i can't get my login to work but my guest account works but none of my saved docs and pics are there

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 7:04 PM

6 replies

Sep 2, 2015 7:09 PM in response to Jcschiantarelli

The Mac is inherently a Multi-User system. If you choose to create only one User, it does not make an exception. You could create dozens of Users if you chose to.

Your "stuff" is still in there, (unless your hard Drive dies completely), but it is NEVER, by design, available to any other user, including Guest.

Once you get logged back into YOUR id, it will all re-appear.

Sep 2, 2015 7:34 PM in response to Jcschiantarelli

No, just the reverse. If another User logs in they have NO ACCESS to anything under your UserID.

All that is shared is /Applications and the screen resolution. Everything else is private to each userid.

So your mission is to get back into your userid. Try this article. If that does not solve it, ask again.

Change or reset a user account password on your Mac - Apple Support

Sep 2, 2015 7:52 PM in response to Jcschiantarelli

There are two ways to log in:

Automatically:

You tell User & Groups > Login Options

... what Userid you always want to use, and the password, and it will always log you in that way. It sounds like that is what you have been using right along.

>> It also sounds like that setting might have gotten changed.

NO automatic Login:

This is what you use when you have many Users on your Mac. You can get a presentation of Userids, possibly including "Other" and "Guest" (it will be very short in your case) OR you can ask for just a Login blank, and have to type BOTH Userid and password from memory.

--------

So I think what might have happened is that your "automatic" login setting got changed, and the window you see is the "Regular" [not Automatic] login window.

EVERYTHING in my home folder is missing including the toolbar guest login is fine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.