Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why the mail app crashes so often?

Recently I have had a lot of problems with the mail app; it crashes almost everyday. It opens but then it doesn't show the preview at freezes, I cannot even close it unless by force quit.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 5:55 PM

13 replies

Sep 2, 2015 6:03 PM in response to jlcc20

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Step 1

For this step, the title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

In the top right corner of the Console window, there's a search box labeled Filter. Enter the name of the crashed application or process. For example, if Safari crashed, you would enter "Safari" (without the quotes.)

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Select the messages from the time of the last crash, if any. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Step 2

In the Console window, select

DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION User Diagnostic Reports

(not Diagnostic and Usage Messages) from the log list on the left. There is a disclosure triangle to the left of the list item. If the triangle is pointing to the right, click it so that it points down. You'll see a list of crash reports. The name of each report starts with the name of the process, and ends with ".crash". Select the most recent report related to the process in question. The contents of the report will appear on the right. Use copy and paste to post the entire contents—the text, not a screenshot.

I know the report is long, maybe several hundred lines. Please post all of it anyway.

If you don't see any reports listed, but you know there was a crash, you may have chosen Diagnostic and Usage Messages from the log list. Choose DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION instead.

In the interest of privacy, I suggest that, before posting, you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if it’s present (it may not be.)

Please don’t post other kinds of diagnostic report—they're very long and rarely helpful.

When you post the log extract or the crash report, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Sep 2, 2015 8:06 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hello, thank you very much for your quick answer. Here is the info you requested:

9/2/15 10:19:56.670 PM Mail[393]: dnssd_clientstub DNSServiceProcessResult called with DNSServiceRef with no ProcessReply function

The other report effectively is not taken by the forum. I posted the report like you said, the name of the paste is jlcc crash, http://pastebin.com/tCHYn7Ji

Thanks again for your help.

Sep 13, 2015 7:04 AM in response to jlcc20

That's not a Mail crash report either. Apparently Mail is not crashing.

There are reports that this issue is caused by a bug. The following workarounds seem to have helped in some cases. Try them and see whether there's an improvement.

1. Hold down the shift key while launching Mail, or the option key while quitting.

2. Leave the Mail preferences window open when quitting.

3. Eliminate all subfolders of mailboxes in IMAP and Exchange accounts. You may have to access the accounts in a web browser to do this; e.g., for an iCloud Mail account, you would sign in to icloud.com.

Sep 13, 2015 3:17 PM in response to Linc Davis

Forgive me for my lack of technical knowledge (that's the reason to ask for help in these blogs, otherwise I would solve the issue), maybe crash is not the proper name, but in the end, almost every time I open the mail for the first time after turning off my computer, the program freezes and does not show neither the header nor the message and I have to force quit it for at least two or three times before it starts working properly, so, for me, a regular user, that's a crash, because in the end, it just doesn't work, call it crash, problem, bug, etc. Yes, the end of the report name says "hang" instead of "crash", but in the end it still doesn't work beyond the actual name.

Eliminate subfolders to adapt the program to the bug or problem isn't either a solution, because I created sub folders to organize my information, that is like hiding a thermometer to lower the fever, that is pointless.

Anyhow, I guess that there's nothing more you can do, because for you that's not a crash, and unfortunately the solution you give of eliminating subfolders is not possible for me, that you very much. I guess I will just have to go back to outlook to handle the mail load, which in the past, with 5 accounts and more than 80 mails per day never crashed, or hanged, etc.

Again, thanks a lot, and sorry for the bother

Oct 1, 2015 3:58 AM in response to jlcc20

Hello jlcc20,

I've been having the same issues for some weeks, even months now. So after googling many times, I found this thread. I must thank Linc Davis for pointing us in the right direction - I had never used the Console before.

I had more or less the same (crash) reports as you. But it showed multiple errors or notices. So two errors caught my attention. Apparently, the error was in two email signatures, which had a different format. You see, all my mail signatures (Library -> Mail -> V2 -> Maildata -> Signatures) had the extensions .mailsignature, but the two newest weren't a Document file, as it should be, but a text file, for some reason. Guess I must have done something wrong while creating my mail signatures. So I copied the content of these files (so I could restore them later) and deleted the two files and guess what? Mail is running without any problems now.

Maybe your problem isn't in the signatures, maybe it is, but a close look in the console may teach you something. If you want to, I can take a closer look at your reports.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Thomas

why the mail app crashes so often?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.