Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

getting rid of Mackeeper

as this has happened to many people a software called MacKeeper downloaded without my consent to try to help me with a non-existent problem. anyway i tried deleting the download but its still on my computer. how do i get rid of it?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 6:25 PM

15 replies

Dec 2, 2017 1:04 PM in response to Allan Eckert

I have different symptoms that I think are related to MacKeeper, perhaps to other stuff my son has inadvertently let slip onto his hard drive. He turned on his MacBook yesterday only to find two thirds of his screen occupied by a crazy image (attached). If I try to install something from a thumb drive, its icon is behind this image. I can kinda see the cursor behind the image, but I can't find the installation dialog box to drag into plain sight.

User uploaded file

Anybody else had something like this? Any ideas of remedies?

Thanks!

Sep 2, 2015 8:34 PM in response to hoccerplayer

Deleting the downloaded installer file does not uninstall MacKeeper. Uninstall it by following its instructions, explained and illustrated below.

Follow these instructions to uninstall MacKeeper. They have been tested with the most recent version of MacKeeper. Earlier versions than the one released in 2012 required more extensive work to uninstall all its components.

If you actually used MacKeeper to alter your system, e.g. "remove excess binaries" or such, you will need to reinstall OS X as well as all your additional software. Uninstalling MacKeeper is insufficient to reverse the corruption it is capable of - once again, that is if you used it.

If you merely installed MacKeeper but did not use it to perform any particular action, the following instructions will suffice.

• If you used MacKeeper to encrypt any files or folders, use MacKeeper to un-encrypt them first.
  • Quit the MacKeeper app if it is running.
  • Open your Applications folder: Using the Finder's Go menu, select Applications.
  • Drag the MacKeeper icon from your Applications folder (not the Dock) to the Trash.

You will be asked to authenticate (twice):

User uploaded file

You do not need to provide a reason for uninstalling it:

User uploaded file

Just click the Uninstall MacKeeper button. You will be asked to authenticate again.

After it uninstalls you may empty the Trash and restart your Mac. All that will remain is an inert log file that does nothing but occupy space on your hard disk.

getting rid of Mackeeper

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.