Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Now that Photo Stream is off on my iPhone and iPad, if I delete photos from my iPad will they stay on my iPhone or get deleted too?

Now that Photo Stream is off on my iPhone and iPad, if I delete photos from my iPad will they stay on my iPhone or get deleted too?

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 8:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 9:09 PM

Deleting photos from one device does not affect the other device unless you are deleting those photos from Photo Stream itself. But having Photo Stream turned on, and then deleting photos from your Camera Roll will not delete any photos from the Photo Stream.

On the other hand, if you are using iCloud Photo Library, anything you delete will be deleted from any other device or Mac using iCloud Photo stream, since you are deleting it from the photo library stored in iCloud which all of those devices are using as well....

So, if that is the case, then you want to turn off iCloud Photo Library to be able to manage your library on a device only.

Cheers,

GB

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2015 9:09 PM in response to wewijaya

Deleting photos from one device does not affect the other device unless you are deleting those photos from Photo Stream itself. But having Photo Stream turned on, and then deleting photos from your Camera Roll will not delete any photos from the Photo Stream.

On the other hand, if you are using iCloud Photo Library, anything you delete will be deleted from any other device or Mac using iCloud Photo stream, since you are deleting it from the photo library stored in iCloud which all of those devices are using as well....

So, if that is the case, then you want to turn off iCloud Photo Library to be able to manage your library on a device only.

Cheers,

GB

Sep 2, 2015 9:52 PM in response to wewijaya

Correct. You basically have two options for backing up your photos:

1. iCloud Photo Library - which is what you are currently using, and syncs photos to your iCloud library wirelessly

iCloud Photo Library FAQ - Apple Support

iCloud Photo Library Help - Apple Support

2. Photo Import - which you do by hooking your device up to your Mac or PC and importing your photos to your Photos library on your computer:

PHOTO IMPORT IOS TO MAC/PC

I personally, use the import method, but that's because I share photos between my devices, Mac, and Photo libraries via Photo Stream and Photo Sharing, and I sync any other photos that I want on my devices back via iTunes:

SYNCING PHOTOS VIA ITUNES

Cheers,

GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.