Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with downloading ISO image onto USB

Hi,

I am trying to re-install bootcamp on my Macbook Pro Retina (13-inch, late 2012, OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5, completely up to date). I uninstalled it (or deleted it) because I wanted to allocate more space to the windows side. I am not great with computers but I can follow directions well so I was able to create the bootcamp partition the first time fairly easily. The problem I am having now is that when I try to download an ISO image to my USB from the Windows website it goes through the whole process but when it is finished there is a whole bunch of files on my USB and no .iso file. I tried the whole process twice.

I have a legal copy of Windows 8(.1) from Microsoft with a product key (although I wasn't asked to enter it when I tried downloading the ISO). I have a 32GB SunDisk USB that I formatted to FAT with Disk Utility before attempting to download the ISO. I then switched over to a PC to try and download the ISO to the USB like I did the first time. It first asked me if I wanted to create a USB file or an ISO for DVD and I chose the first option. I then had to choose language (English), which type of Windows version I have (Windows 8.1 - not pro or anything special) and whether I wanted 32 bit or 64 bit (I chose 64 bit because I have an Intel Core i5). I also wanted to note the reason I don't want the DVD version is because I don't have a DVD drive.

After I choose these options it takes a very long time to be done, and both times I have ended up with the same result which is a whole bunch of files that I don't want and no .iso file. I have a screenshot of what is now on the USB after the download. My question is do you have any ideas for me what I am doing wrong and why I am not getting an actual .iso file on my USB.

Please let me know if any more info would help, I just put in all I thought was relevant. Thank you!

User uploaded file

This is the Windows link I have been using: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 9:41 PM

18 replies

Sep 2, 2015 10:02 PM in response to ca90

An 'iso' is a type of file container that hold the contents of a 'disk'. It looks like the Microsoft tool is downloading the iso & also writing that to the USB stick as a new file system. That should be the correct format copied from inside the iso & it should boot if you try it. It is writing the iso to the USB drive so that you don't have to do that manually.

Have you tried using this USB disk as the source for Bootcamp Assistant?

If you really want an iso you can create one from this USB disk (assuming you test it works first), Microsoft may have another page to get just a raw iso.

Sep 3, 2015 12:45 AM in response to ca90

Okay so I got the iso file figured out, but I still can't get Bootcamp Assistant to work. There are two error messages I keep getting when I try to press continue after choosing the iso. One is "Boot Camp only supports Windows 7 or later installation on this platform. Please use an ISO file for Windows 7 or later installation." I purchased and downloaded the stuff for Windows 8.1, so I'm not sure what the issue is there. The other error message I get is that I don't have enough space on my disk. I can't get the exact error message to pop up again right now just the one about Windows 7. This was surprising to me since I have 88gb of empty space available. Well, I did before I created the .iso file and now I only have 56.37gb. Is it supposed to take up that space? And even then, I believe I still have enough space to create a partition.

Thank you for any help!

Sep 3, 2015 11:14 AM in response to Loner T

Hi, thanks for the reply and help.

I understand what you are saying, but I am not sure how to remedy this. I tried the whole process again and got the same result. I get to choose between two options either the 32 or 64 and I choose the 64 bit and it begins the downloading process after that.

Sep 3, 2015 2:38 PM in response to Loner T

Loner T wrote:

The ISO being 32-GB seems a bit odd. It should be 3-4 GB and fit on a single-layer DVD.

Looking at those steps it seems the image made via Disk Utility is of the entire disk, including the partition table & unused space. It makes sense if the USB device is 32GB, the image is probably only a few GB in reality. Just making a 'New image from folder' in Disk Utility may be enough to grab one partition but it is unclear if that is enough for Windows booting & bootcamp setup.

Sep 3, 2015 2:55 PM in response to ca90

Just did this today:

Download Win10 ISO from the MS site (I googled win10 download). Options are 32/64 bit and various language opts. I chose 64 bit and English only. File size was about 4GB. Downloaded via Safari to my Mac, placing file on the Desktop.

After the download, open Boot Camp Assistant (in Utilities folder in Applications).

Check the option "Create Windows Install Disk" and insert appropriate thumb drive (doesn't matter what format because the Boot Camp app will format). BC Assistant will find the ISO for you.

Creating the USB install disk takes a long time (45 min +/-) because it seems that Apple is downloading all of the driver files to this USB drive, too.

All steps above done in Mac OS.

Once the USB install disk is complete, you can use it to do the Windows install. Takes +/- another 30 minutes.

Note that I created the install disc using El Capitan b8 and whatever boot camp assistant is on there; don't think earlier versions should be substantially different...

Sep 3, 2015 5:10 PM in response to dbs

Do you mean that you purchased Windows 10? I don't really want to do that as I just purchased 8.1 a few months ago and it is very expensive. I looked so see if I could download the update but everything I saw said it needed to be downloaded from Windows which I no longer have access to.

Help with downloading ISO image onto USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.