Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Connection Doctor red for Gmail Account?

I run OS X 10.8.5 on my 17" MacBook Pro. My gmail account in Mac Mail just stopped working, both sending sending and receiving. My 'Google IMAP' and 'SMTP' dots in Mail Connection Doctor are both red. How do I fix this? Thanks in advance for any help.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2.6 GHz Intel Core Duo 4GB 150GB

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 9:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 9:21 PM

Here's the fix:

Steve Bilzi1Jun 27, 2013 3:09 PM Re: Apple Mail refuses to accept my password for Gmail account
Re: Apple Mail refuses to accept my password for Gmail accountin response to Tim Laduca1

I found that the problem with many gmail installations in Apple Mail (and other mail clients) is related to Google's two step verification process. If you remember getting text codes on your mobile device(s) asking you to verify your email account, this is a possibility for you. You may have to log onto GMail from your browser, got to the "gear" icon->settings->Change account settings->Change password recovery options, then put in your password again at the resulting verification window, and turn off secondary verification via text in the ensuing windows. This prevents the mail client from failing to verify via a password you may not even have access to in order to go online. Once you have done this and saved it, you should be able to send and receive mail and no longer be prompted for your password unsuccessfully over and over. MAke sure, of course, that all your regular email settings are correct again (like FULL email address in user name fields), now that you may have changed lots of things in the vain attempt to overcome this rather obscure problem

P.S., it's a Google issue, not an Apple issue. It seems Apple and Apple Mail hs been getting a bit of a bad rap here for being asked to do the impossible based on what it has been given to work with.

Just another day in paradise!

Steve Bilzi

Sr. Tech

Bilzi Mac Services

Wilmington, NC

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2015 9:21 PM in response to deadflowers57

Here's the fix:

Steve Bilzi1Jun 27, 2013 3:09 PM Re: Apple Mail refuses to accept my password for Gmail account
Re: Apple Mail refuses to accept my password for Gmail accountin response to Tim Laduca1

I found that the problem with many gmail installations in Apple Mail (and other mail clients) is related to Google's two step verification process. If you remember getting text codes on your mobile device(s) asking you to verify your email account, this is a possibility for you. You may have to log onto GMail from your browser, got to the "gear" icon->settings->Change account settings->Change password recovery options, then put in your password again at the resulting verification window, and turn off secondary verification via text in the ensuing windows. This prevents the mail client from failing to verify via a password you may not even have access to in order to go online. Once you have done this and saved it, you should be able to send and receive mail and no longer be prompted for your password unsuccessfully over and over. MAke sure, of course, that all your regular email settings are correct again (like FULL email address in user name fields), now that you may have changed lots of things in the vain attempt to overcome this rather obscure problem

P.S., it's a Google issue, not an Apple issue. It seems Apple and Apple Mail hs been getting a bit of a bad rap here for being asked to do the impossible based on what it has been given to work with.

Just another day in paradise!

Steve Bilzi

Sr. Tech

Bilzi Mac Services

Wilmington, NC

Mail Connection Doctor red for Gmail Account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.