Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac won't save files to PC server

My mac won't save any files to our PC server. I can view files on the server, but it won't save anything or create new folders. Would love some suggestions thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 7:56 PM

12 replies

Sep 2, 2015 9:13 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi Grant, thanks for your reply but I'm not sure what you mean? Selected Save as, navigated on the left hand side to the exact folder on the server. Selected the folder which shows the contents. At this stage the only things at the bottom of the window are - Hide extension, New Folder, Cancel & Save options. Am I looking in the wrong area? Apologies in advance!

Sep 3, 2015 8:38 AM in response to helfromhappyrock

There are at least three sets of permissions. One for Owner, one for Group, one for Everyone.

User uploaded file

The owner permissions apply if your Userid is showing as the Owner (single-person Icon)

Group permissions apply if you are a member of the Group that has group access (two-person icon)

Everyone permissions apply for everyone else (the many people icon)

What are the settings for the Directory/Folder where you want to store your file?

Sep 3, 2015 10:17 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

If the FOLDER has those permissions, you should be able to store whatever you want there.

If you are still having trouble doing that, you may need to talk to the Administrator of the Server.

This advice from Linc Davis explains what may need to be done at the Server. It may seem like word-salad to you, but your Server Admin should know something about it::

Files On Server Not Accessible by Other Users

Turn on ACLs on the server and configure ACL inheritance on the share.

Sep 4, 2015 6:53 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for your help Eric. We are operating with Windows Server 2003 which means it will be NTFS. If we continue to use the current server I would either have to use 3rd party software. Or should I consider putting windows on my Mac? We have been thinking about upgrading to a new server using Windows 2012 or going cloud based. Big decision as we are a small business who relies on data & internet connection/availability isn't the best in a regional area. Not sure if I would have the same problem if we upgraded? Thanks Helen

Sep 4, 2015 7:17 PM in response to Eric Root

While 'inability to write to NTFS Volumes' is undoubtably a problem for directly-attached Windows drives, I am not sure it counts when using Windows Server.

I thought the Network Protocol was supposed to launder those File System dependencies out and leave you with only the problem of accessing via afp: or smb: [traditionally Apple and Microsoft Server protocols (but now Apple is moving to advanced smb:) ]

When I check the Network Volumes attached to my Mac from an Apple Server, the file format is "AppleShare", while directly-attached drives are MacOS X

Mac won't save files to PC server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.