Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help configuring my Airplay on new network

Hi there,

I recently moved and now have a new modem/router from a new ISP. Previously, my router was a combination of my Time Capsule and Airport Express, but this new router provides much faster wireless speed, so I would like my computers and devices to remain connected to it.

My issue is that I have not been able to get the Airport Express working, while the Time Capsule works fine. I have tried plugging in the Airport Express into the Time Capsule using the method shown here: Wi-Fi base stations: Setting up and configuring a roaming network (802.11 a/b/g/n) - Apple Support but, for some reason, when I do this I lose connectivity with the primary modem/router network. Perhaps this is because I already tried to configure the Airport Express using the guidelines listed here: Wi-Fi base stations: How to set up and configure AirPort Express for AirPlay and iTunes - Apple Support under "Connecting to an existing Wi-Fi network as part of a roaming network" ... I was unable to successfully do this, it just returned an error and the device went offline. Meanwhile, if I plug in both the Time Capsule and Airport Express at the same time into different ports the primary modem/router, the Time Capsule goes offline.

The only reason I want to use the Airport Express is for Airplay purposes, so I can send audio from my computer or phone to my stereo. I really like this feature but otherwise it's not needed. (Although if I could use it to extend my network reach to the 2nd floor, that would be useful.)

Any help is appreciated!

Dan

MBP Yosemite 10.10.3

iPhone 5s ios8.1

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 11:08 PM

6 replies

Sep 4, 2015 3:43 PM in response to LaPastenague

I tried using the iOS airport utility app, but it doesn't give me the option of extending my home network... there are two other networks in the area listed but neither are mine, and unlike the Mac version I can't write in the name of my network.

So I tried again with my Mac. It doesn't seem to have worked. Here is a screenshot.

User uploaded file

The network listed there is the one I am trying to extend. But it is still showing as orange for some reason. And when I check the status on my iOS airport utility app, it doesn't show the Airport Express as connecting to my Rogers network, but instead creating its own Apple network.

I am totally confused and do not know how to proceed. Based on Apple's support provided here Wi-Fi base stations: How to set up and configure AirPort Express for AirPlay and iTunes - Apple Support it states:

"The Assistant will automatically configure the Roaming network"

this is not the case... please help.

Sep 4, 2015 5:08 PM in response to safetydept

I think that I can probably help on this issue, but I need to understand a few things first. So, if you can answer a few questions to clarify things.....and then answer what will likely be some follow up questions based on the answers......we can get started.

When you say that you want to use the wireless on the ISP provided modem/router.......does this mean that you are simply ignoring the wireless on the Time Capsule.....or have you turned off the wireless function on the Time Capsule?

We understand that you have tried connecting the AirPort Express using an Ethernet connection to the Time Capsule and also to your modem/router and things do not work in either case, correct?

Assuming that the Express is doing just what you want.....will it be connect to the network using a permanent fixed, Ethernet cable connection....(it might be either to the Time Capsule or your modem/router)......or, do you really want the Express to connect wirelessly?

Sep 4, 2015 7:37 PM in response to Bob Timmons

HI Bob, thanks for the response. To answer your question:

- I turned off the wifi function on the Time Capsule as I got it to work without it, and my ISP technician recommended having only one wifi network to ensure the fastest possible speed.

- the Airport Express has been tried with Ethernet cable in both configurations, into the time capsule and also into the modem/router directly.

- I don't care whether the Airport Express connects via Ethernet or wifi, I just want to be able to use AirPlay on my devices without having to change networks in order to do so.

Hope this helps! thanks for your guidance

Dan

Sep 4, 2015 8:05 PM in response to safetydept

OK, thanks for the info. You are probably tired of resetting the AirPort Express, but that needs to be done one more time.

With the Express powered on for a few minutes, hold in the reset button on the Express for 7-8 seconds and then release. Allow a full minute for the Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status.

Connect an Ethernet cable from any one of the LAN <--> ports on the modem/router to the WAN "O" port on the Express.

Click the WiFi icon at the top of the Mac's screen and look for a setting for New AirPort Base Station. Click directly on AirPort Express

under that heading

User uploaded file

Wait a few seconds for a screen that looks similar to this to appear, except that you will see a picture of the AirPort Express version that you have.

User uploaded file

Network Name........Enter the exact name of the wireless network that the ISP router is providing

Base Station...........Enter a short name that you want to call the AirPort Express. Mine is Express, for example

Password...............Enter the exact same password that you use to connect to the ISP wireless network

Verify......................Confirm the password again

Click Next

The setup "wizard" will configure everything for you. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done. That's it.

The Express is now acting as a second wireless access point (your ISP router is the other), so you have just configured what is known as a "roaming" network. AirPlay is always enabled by default on the Express.

If for some reason you do not want the Express to provide additional wireless coverage, then open AirPort Utility, click on the AirPort Express, then click Edit in the smaller window that appears. Click the Wireless tab at the top of the screen and change the setting for Network Mode from "create a wireless network" to "Off", then click Update to save the changes. If you do this, the Express will still connect using Ethernet, and AirPlay will still be enabled.

Need help configuring my Airplay on new network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.