Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to format a external drive to use on both Mac and PC computers

I own a iMac running OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5.

I just purchased a 6TB WD External hard drive. How can I format it so I can write files from my iMac as well as any other PCs I use? I'd also like to read the file from my iMac as well as any other PC I use.

I'm very confused with all the settings including the use of a partition table, is this required?. These are the instructions I received after calling WD's support number. http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3865#leopardandfriends

My intent: I'm basically going to use this new external drive as a backup for all my files (from my current iMac as well as all my NTSF formatted PC external drives). I do not need to load an OS or anything of the sort. I just want to have the entire drive available to "dump" all my files in one space, and then purchase another drive to have as a second clone of this one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also one more question on this topic, I have a few other "lesser sized" external drives which I've used on all my other PCs (going back to 2000). After I format this new external drive can I just drag the files from my old external drives onto the new drive? Or do I have to drag the files to my iMac first and then to the new external drive.

Thank you.

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 10:51 PM

2 replies

Sep 3, 2015 3:29 AM in response to KITT2010

There are two possibilities.

1. Format the drive as ExFat. This is an extension of FAT32 that for all practical

purposes supports unlimited file sizes and unlimited volume sizes. FAT32 was limited

to a max 4GB file size and 32GB volume size.

2. Format the drive as NTFS and add NTFS write support to the Mac. While Macs can natively

read NTFS, they cannot write (I guess some licensing agreement with MS). You would

need to get and install the drivers that will allow writing. There are commercially available

as well as free.

Number 1 is probably the simplest and easiest approach and less fraught with issues of

OSX upgrade compatibility problems.

Sep 3, 2015 9:01 AM in response to woodmeister50

Ok, I'll try that. How about this question too: "Also one more question on this topic, I have a few other "lesser sized" external drives which I've used on all my other PCs (going back to 2000). After I format this new external drive can I just drag the files from my old external drives onto the new drive? Or do I have to drag the files to my iMac first and then to the new external drive."

Thanks!

How to format a external drive to use on both Mac and PC computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.