Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External 3TB disk only showing 2.2TB

I have a iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) running Yosemite 10.10.5 and have attached an external two-drive enclosure which is equipped with eSATA and USB 2 connections.

When I insert a 3TB Seagate Barracuda drive in it and connect via USB2, Disk Utility only reports a 2.2TB drive and no matter how I erase/partition it that is the maximum I can achieve.

If I ask for 'Get Info' on the drive from the Finder it reports 2.2TB Capacity but also shows that there is 867.8MB used which is the missing capacity.

User uploaded file User uploaded file

Does anyone have a clue how I can use the full 3TB?

Many thanks.

PS I have two of the 3TB drives and both report the same issue.

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 5:26 AM

20 replies

Sep 3, 2015 6:51 AM in response to Lexiepex

Davids-iMac:~ dave$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS DTMacHD 2.0 TB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1

0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.2 TB disk1

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS Untitled

Sep 3, 2015 6:53 AM in response to k3comms

This is more readable!

Last login: Thu Sep 3 14:49:55 on ttys000

Davids-iMac:~ dave$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0

0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS DTMacHD 2.0 TB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1

0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.2 TB disk1

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS Untitled 2.2 TB disk1s2

Davids-iMac:~ dave$

Sep 3, 2015 8:14 AM in response to k3comms

It is likely that your external enclosure does not support 3 TB and larger drives. This is even more likely since the enclosure has a USB 2 interface, which indicates it's an older enclosure.

Check with the enclosure manufacturer, they may have a firmware update for the enclosures controller. If not, you going to need a new enclosure that supports larger drives.

Tom

Sep 3, 2015 8:28 AM in response to k3comms

Do you have another external drive enclosure or method to connect the disk to the Mac?

To me it looks like a drive controller that only supports smaller volume disk sizes(as Tom said 🙂). You may find that another disk controller reports the full size. Another possibility is to repartition the disk into 2 smaller chunks then see if it shows both halves if you create 2x 1.5 TB partitions. You would need to do that on another Mac or using a different drive controller since you apparently can't get access to the full disk as it currently is.

I'm not sure if using a MBR partition will alter anything, GUID/GPT supports volumes over 2TB, so it should work as is.

Also check the disk for any jumpers, if it has any be sure they are set correctly according to the manual/ spec sheet (search Seagate).

External 3TB disk only showing 2.2TB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.