Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod classic is pausing mid-song for no reason

I need help to backup my ipod classic (80GB) as i think i need to do a factory reset to it.

For the last few months it's been pausing mid-song which i thought was my headphones but it turns out it is likely to be the ipod due to it's age.

I have spent lots of money on headphones and don't want to buy anymore.

The backup option does not highlight on the file menu so i have done a sync of the ipod but not sure if everything has synced.

My music comes from two libraries on two computers but i think it'll freak out if i try and do a sync from both and will write over what has been synced from first library?

sorry if this doesn't make sense, but hope someone can help anyway!

Thanks

iPad 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 11:51 PM

3 replies

Sep 3, 2015 5:59 AM in response to Cinderella78

It is probably not the headphones themselves, but the headphone jack in the device. This has a switch that detects when the headphones are removed and pauses the device. It is possible to replace the headphone jack and hold switch on an iPod classic. The part & tools cost a few £/$ and there are videos on YouTube that describe the process. It requires a little strength and dexterity to get the case open but the process isn't too hard. I've swapped out a few batteries and headphone/hold switch assemblies over the years on 5th & 6th gen. classics. Alternatively you can look for a company that can perform the service.

The backup option in iTunes only applies to iOS devices.

Ideally all of your content would be in one iTunes library that you backup on a regular basis. You could import the media from the smaller library into the larger one, then see Re: Is there a way to automatically delete duplicate songs? for advice on deduping.

tt2

ipod classic is pausing mid-song for no reason

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.