Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Could someone tell me what is VPN

PPlease could someone help me and tell me what is VPN ?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 2:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 3:14 AM

Virtual Private Network

3 replies

Sep 3, 2015 5:19 AM in response to suefromluton

It's used to protect you from being seen as your original iPhone, Mac, or iPad on others' networks. It uses a "cover-up".

Think of it this way. When you connect normally to a Wi-Fi network, you are seen as "naked". This means people are able to find out your location, family, home, credit cards, bank accounts, etcetera easier. What the VPN does is it gives you a pair of clothes, winter jacket, and snow pants to protect you from being easily accessible by anyone. Certain Wi-Fi networks do not allow VPNs such as schools and workplaces, because they are not able to keep full control of what sites you visit, who you are, etc.

Could someone tell me what is VPN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.