Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is gaming on mac so horrible?

Being a PC gamer, I decided to take another look at mac products with the intention of possibly switching to OS X for my main gaming rig. Then came the sticker shock! None of the Mac's under $2000 had a dedicated graphics card and the ones that do have a dedicated graphics card use graphics solutions that are at least three years old. Anyone see an issue with this problem? Also, what's up with all the dual core CPU solutions?

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 5:49 AM

6 replies

Sep 3, 2015 8:01 AM in response to Ron Herrmann

Ron,

I think the article has some good points from a mac perspective, but they also show the glaring reasons for not getting a mac for gaming.

They stress this advantage in the first point:

"In theory this means a more console-like platform than Windows for developers..."

Really? Console-like performance? No one gets a gaming machine for console-like performance. Gamers get machines to push the envelope, not get hindered by something that looks similar to their XBOX, Playstation, or Wii. I can say that the graphics cards in all of the Mac options cannot push most modern games at high performance levels. With even the Mac Book Pro, which has a dedicated graphics card, my friends cannot turn the graphics to maximum settings and get it to remotely run well on my Samsung UHD 4K monitor.

Now, the rest of the article is subjective and really didn't address the reason why gaming is not an option on any mac. Integrated graphics and dual core processors are good for word processing, but it is not an option for a gamer who looks for the best options without spending six grand to get there.

Sep 4, 2015 10:08 AM in response to Klaus1

Klaus1,

I have a PC. I was just wondering if I'm the only one who thinks that Apple is not really trying to cater to a very large market space. I'm trying to get the discussion started in hopes that more people, like myself, who would like to switch to a Mac but the hardware is terribly outdated upon release, for gamers.

😊 Dropping two grand on an outdated machine, upon release, would make me feel like I am getting ripped off.

Sep 4, 2015 11:09 AM in response to BubbaJanks

😊 Dropping two grand on an outdated machine, upon release, would make me feel like I am getting ripped off.

Used just for running games and nothing else, the Mac Pro IS too expensive to compete.

Apple's high-end machines feature Server-class processors and large Error Correction Code RAM memory. They are aimed at Photo and Movie editing and Big Data scientific computing. The latest Mac Pro is tuned up for TWO big graphics processors (one of which is dedicated to GPU Computing) and dissipation of the all the heat generated without resorting to liquid cooling tubes hanging off the outside of the machine.

Gaming computers usually feature fast (but not Server) processors, no memory error correction, and really good graphics cards. What exact components you decide on and how you how you manage to cool all that stuff is left as "your problem". A PC with parts you select from a catalog will almost always perform better.

Why is gaming on mac so horrible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.