Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to open Python 3.4.3 file shell on my home computer

I downloaded Python 3,4.3 but do not know how to open Python shell (file) to do online class

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 5:44 AM

1 reply

Sep 3, 2015 10:04 AM in response to beachside cabana

The Python 3.4.3 package from Python dot org installs the Python command tools in /usr/local/bin as python3, and python3.4. Your Python 3.4.3 libraries are installed in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework. There is a Python3.4 folder added to Applications, and in there is idle.app, the interactive development tool for Python3.4. Python is very fussy about indentation.

You will need a progammer's editor for convenience building python programs. There is the free Text Wrangler, or the $8 Textastic editor. I have both and prefer Textastic. My daily driver is Sublime Text 3 with the freely optional Anaconda Python syntax checker package.

If you are working in the Terminal, and you have /usr/local/bin first in your PATH, then the idle interactive development tool will launch for Python 3.4.3, not Python 2.7.6. You quit out of idle by typing quit(). You can also type python3 on the command line.

If you write a Python script, the first line should be #!/usr/bin/env python3, or #!/usr/local/bin/python3 — followed by your code.You need to make the script executable in the Terminal by typeing chmod +x foo.py. Python dot org has all the documentation you need, and stackoverflow many answers too. Preface your web search as: Python, and then the subject that you want to look up. Y

how to open Python 3.4.3 file shell on my home computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.