Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore Ipad with bad home button

Is there anyway to restore an Ipad with a bad home button? When I try and get into restore mode I get the Apple logo but it flashes and never makes it to the Restore Screen, just puts the Apple Logo back up???

iPad, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 6:01 AM

8 replies

Jan 24, 2016 5:48 PM in response to Jproefrock

I {and a friend of mine} had the same problem and I would like to share my story. Bad home buttons apparently are a common problem with the iPad, but there is a viable, quick, easy and free fix. When I went to the Apple store with my two year old out of warranty iPad they offered to replace it with the same model for $300.00 and take my old iPad. I checked with eBay and noted I could buy the same new one online for $308, including shipping. Plus, I could probably sell my iPad with the buggy home button for more than $100. Some deal.

Then I went to another Apple store and one of the geniuses solved my problem. Go into Settings - General - Accessibility - and click on Assistive Touch. Your new floating home button will appear. You will never need the regular home button again, And this works for iPhones as well.

Best to all.

Feb 2, 2016 12:45 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Hello Meg,

Although I have no idea what a DFU mode is, I have no doubt you are correct. I know that when I do a screen shot on my iPad the result is not pretty. My home button worked occasionally but was pretty buggy. I have not used it for the last couple of months or so and hope never to have to use it. It is certainly not getting any more wear and tear so that may increase its utility should I need it.

I also have no idea how many iPad home buttons go buggy. I do know that I am fine with my iPad as it currently is and am very glad I am not out the $300 that wanted for a replacement.

Aug 8, 2016 12:52 PM in response to doug Davies

doug Davies wrote:

Six months later all is well. There is a way to take a screen shot without using the home button. So far I have full functionality on everything I have tried to do and I do not even think about the home button any more. I hope all this helps anyone that has a home button that does not work properly. It did for me.

As I said, it will work fine until something else goes wrong on the phone and you need to do a forced restart or put it in DFU mode. It is, at best, a workaround.

Restore Ipad with bad home button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.