Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 4,1 (early 2009) verify RAID set running for days

How long is 'verify RAID set' supposed to run?

I have the Apple RAID card with four 2TB WD Red drives in a RAID 5. I clicked 'verify raid set' as I never ran it before, almost two full days ago. It's still running... it that expected?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 6:22 AM

2 replies

Sep 27, 2016 2:19 PM in response to beaudamore

About your question (now missing) see the reference to a possible firmware update

for your 4.1 that may allow it to run sierra; note the cover on macOS Sierra topic :

http://lowendmac.com/2016/macos-sierra/

In App Store (sierra) does not appear 'as an update' in all supported models;

as my Late 2012 quad-core Mini server i7 (has 10.9.5) does not see it there.

But I am certain in this case, it is supported; but I did get El Captian installer

just in case. And have room on internal hard drives for several partitions.

Good luck & happy trails! 🙂

Sep 27, 2016 3:00 PM in response to beaudamore

The time required would be the time to read and traverse the Directory of the combined RAID volume, then check the free list against the blocks in use. This is almost always under a quarter hour.

However, recent versions of Disk Utility have a habit of finishing their work, but neglecting to post the last "Done" message. If your version has a "Show log" entry on one of the menus, check there. You may find it completed long ago and failed to tell you in the main window.

Mac Pro 4,1 (early 2009) verify RAID set running for days

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.