Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt feminine to Firewire masculine Adaptor

Hey all.

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro 17" and am in need of a new external hard drive. As I am a film maker I need an extremely durable portable hard drive and the best options for this currently only come with thunderbolt cables or USB 3.0. Because I will need to be editing, scratching and streaming from the drive, a USB cable just won't cut it. However because I only have a firewire input on my laptop (and don't have the money to get a new macbook, nor the inclination because mine works fine and has a better screen for my purposes which is no longer available) these drives seem to be out of my reach.

In short I am wondering if it is possible to get a thunderbolt (feminine) to firewire (masculine) adaptor.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Mid 2010, 17" display

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 8:16 AM

2 replies

Sep 3, 2015 9:40 AM in response to MSSKINNER

yes it is possible, sir, but be aware that it's a one-way connection, Thunderbolt to firewire, not firewire to thunderbolt. Your mac has to have thunderbolt built in, and then you can connect a firewire device. Maybe you could get an external hard drive enclosure with a FW connector on it. I think you can get ones that will take more than one hard drive (is that a RAID setup?? I don't know) and they have firewire

I hope that answers your question okay

JB

Thunderbolt feminine to Firewire masculine Adaptor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.