Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ip address and router address

I am trying to configure manually an airport express.

The ip given by my isp was

IP = xxx.xxx.13.194

submask = 255.255.252.0

router = xxx.xxx.11.1

These are correct values since the submask is going to accept a router with 11.1 when the ip is 13.194. The problem is that the airport express is expecting

the ip and router share the same first components and will only work if the router is xxx.xxx.13.1

The error message I got always I am trying to configure in that way is

The router address you have entered is not compatible with your WAN IP address.

I have tried to configure a laptop or other tech with the same values and they work perfectly.

Do you know how can I fix that?

Thanks

Jordi

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 8:51 AM

4 replies

Sep 3, 2015 3:54 PM in response to jvaquero

The firmware on the Express is behaving correctly.. it cannot put in numbers that are inconsistent.

Unfortunately due to ISP breaking fundamental network rules.. the routers have problems.. Linux and NetBSD have issues when you break the rules.. The later is used in the Express..

Usually it will handle it ok by dhcp.. but if you are forced to do it manually.. sorry it isn't going to work.

Sep 4, 2015 3:17 PM in response to jvaquero

The submask is used exactly to indicate what is the subnetwork and what is the global domain. In other mac environment, like macbook pro, mac mini, mac pro, macbook air, the configuration is perfectly ok and giving no problem at all.

I have run into this problem in Linux based routers.. since forever. I think the subnet mask is not being read or read correctly.. and it will take the IP and assume the gateway must be in whatever is the standard class for the IP.. and that usually means /24

When I have been able to work around it.. it is by providing a static route.

As you know.. apple routers hide all controls.. everything.. you cannot access the route table to fix it..

(Actually you can but how are your soldering skills??)

If you could get into the route table you could fix it.

ip address and router address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.