Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you add files from a Mac to my Toshiba external hard drive.

Hello,

I am trying to add files from my Mac book to my Toshiba External Hard Drive. I saw a forum earlier about changing the format, but warning that this would cause the files on the drive to delete. I would be fine changing the format as I used to use Windows but now I am only using Mac products, BUT I first would need to save the old files on my external hard drive so they are not permanently deleted. Either that or I need help with the option to use both formats, Windows and Mac. Please help! Thanks!!!

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 7:31 AM

3 replies

Sep 3, 2015 9:19 AM in response to kristinkelly19

what Niel said....anyways, yes, you'd probably need to reformat the Toshiba External hard drive to MacOS Journaled, and yes, this would make the files on that external drive delete. Here's how:

1: plug in old drive, get files off of it

2: reformat as MacOS Journalled (for Mac only use) or ExFat (for both Mac and PC use) . Use Disk utility for that.

3: plug in newly reformatted drive and transfer files.

If you're worried about failing hard drives, it might be a good idea to have a backup system in place and use it regularly. As Niel pointed out, hard drives can and do eventually fail, no matter what computer you may have, and they usually do so without warning. I don't want to scare you, but it does happen. Any hard drive should work for backup, and with Time Machine built into your MacBook Pro, it's almost effortless. oh, and make sure you have show external hard drives turned on in your Finder prefences....that should help you

good luck

JB

Sep 3, 2015 9:35 AM in response to kristinkelly19

kristinkelly19 wrote:

...I would be fine changing the format as I used to use Windows but now I am only using Mac products, BUT I first would need to save the old files on my external hard drive so they are not permanently deleted...

Once you save all your files to another location, since you'll be working only with Macs, using Disk Utility select the HD and repartition it. You'll want to create a new partition, click the Options... button and select GUID partition table (your drive has a Windows-compatible Master Boot Record), and give it a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. Note that the GUID partition table is best for Time Machine to work.

How do you add files from a Mac to my Toshiba external hard drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.