Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Starkey Halo 2015

I thought I would start a new discussion to see if there are any new updates to all the issues that people are having. Here's mine.

Last night cooking dinner, HA’s seen by my iPhone but TruLink not up, the sound kept going loader and softer.

I thought it was my stove fan but it was the HA’s! What is going on?

I brought up TruLink and low and behold it was switching between Normal and Stream Boost, every 15 - 20 seconds. I shut the iPhone down and it stopped and stayed that way even when I turned the iPhone on. Not good.

frank

iPhone 5c, iOS 8, starkey halo i110 hearing aids

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 12:38 PM

I am not entirely clear - did the problem come back when you restarted your iPhone?

21 replies

Sep 4, 2015 12:44 PM in response to OldGnome

Hi, no it did not come back and it's not doing it now, but like other days it will start and now I know what to look for. Back and forth Normal to Stream Boost with me not doing anything.

One other item about loosing connectivity between the Halo's and my iPhone. I've been carrying my iPhone around all day in my pocket and as I suspected I stay connected. Today I walked away from the iPhone and lost the connection and it never came back. Like hundreds of times before I shut the iPhone down and when I bring it back up my HA's are seen.

frank

Sep 5, 2015 2:42 PM in response to OldGnome

Hi, I have a 5c 8.4.1 the latest iOS, and the Halos got updated 3 weeks ago when I got my replacements. Funny, this morning the batteries ran out, put new ones in, and got out of distance and they were found right away. So one of my big issues is that if the batteries are very new I can leave the iPhone and just walk back into range and they're paired.

The other item of Normal going to Stream Boost back and forth happened again last night cooking. I'm wondering if the overhead fan in the hood is causing this to happen. ug.

frank

Sep 7, 2015 7:28 AM in response to frankeric

I have a 5S, iOS 8.4.1 and the Halo firmware was updated a couple of months ago. The only streaming issue I have is when I am using the Facebook apps on my phone. Sometimes, when I use Messenger and pop back into Facebook, I will get the Stream Boost opening and closing. I haven't been able to isolate the problem. In my case, I think it is app-related. I also get the same artifact when I turn off my car. I do not use the auto car memory, but I think my phone is grabbing my Halos for just a moment.

When I think back on the problems my dad had with his hearing aids (including a cochlear implant) over the years, my having a bit of unexpected Stream Boost now and again is a nit.

Sep 7, 2015 10:33 AM in response to OldGnome

Does the StreamBoost come on automatically for FB? Mine only comes on when there is a video. And it's way too loud! Almost painful before I manage to turn the sound level on the video down. Some videos appear not to have a sound level adjustment and I take my aids out and just watch. Is there, I ask hopefully, a way to turn the sound down without going to TruLink or taking the aids out?

Sep 7, 2015 11:18 AM in response to OldGnome

You're right and wrong about this being a nit, the wrong part is that I paid $7 grand for my HA's and with that price came the things that the mfg promised: All the bells and whistles. IMO

The switching back and forth from Normal to SB happens when my cooking hood is on and now I realized also when mowing my lawn as I did today, had to take the HA's out and put them in my pocket, ug.

Also during this I got out of range of the iPhone and when I finished and looked to see if it saw my HA's, the iPhone did not, so shut down was the only way to get them linked.

Triple click the home button and run the volume down, it's not like the mute button on TL but it works.

frank

Sep 8, 2015 9:14 AM in response to frankeric

frankeric - I never meant to imply that any expressed difficulty is a nit for anyone else but me. I think we all paid the same price for our hearing aids. I have to admit that a year in, I am not using the phone controls much at all with my Halos. However, for me, the additional functionality - when I use it - has been pretty seamless and trouble free. That I experience an occasional blip with Stream Boost is - to me - a minor inconvenience. I understand that - to you - it is not minor.

In the past, the typical troubleshooting regimen has been to completely disconnect the Halos from the phone, reset the phone (see: http://www.wikihow.com/Hard-Reset-an-iPhone) up to and including a full hard reset and then re-pair the Halos to the phone. Have you walked through the reset process?

I have had very few problems with my Halos when paired to my phone. That tells me that there might be some particular combination of apps that could lead others to trouble with their Halos when paired with their iPhones.

Sep 8, 2015 9:40 AM in response to OldGnome

Good day. Nits aside...:) I have at least once a day reset my phone. I only do a full hard reset when the iOS is updated / the Halo software if updated. I think the normal to stream boost back and forth is caused by bluetooth interference from something else in my area, inside and outside my house. It is becoming very annoying along with not seeing the HA's when I go out of phone range and then return, causing me to reset the phone.

What I do like very much is the main reason I got HA's and that's to hear better which I do, just ask my other half.

frank

Sep 9, 2015 8:11 AM in response to frankeric

My hearing aids are almost never out of range of my phone. My phone is either on the desk next to me, in my pocket, or on another surface a few feet away. I don't use it for phone calls much (it's too hard to understand clearly), but I do use it for e-mail and texting a lot. I will try to remember to get out of range a few times and see how my Halos respond to returning to range. I do turn them off every night or when I am going to have them out of my ears for a while like when I am on a phone call with my desk phone and wired headset. My Jabra headset is a big help for those times I have to be on the phone.

My Halos are a HUGE improvement over my natural hearing. I really didn't know how deaf I am until I started wearing hearing aids.

Sep 9, 2015 10:36 AM in response to OldGnome

Aren't all our differences interesting and some, puzzling?

Interesting that I hear phone speech much better when I use the iPhone rather than the landline.

And puzzling: I've never experienced being out of range of my phone. How far is "out of range"? I witnessed a friend leave his phone behind and walk down the street with his dog. He didn't say he experienced being out of range when he got back.

When you say you "turn them off every night" do you mean you open the battery doors? or is there something else you do? I open the battery doors every night when I put the aids in the jar with the dryer pellets. And when I close the battery doors in the morning I am connected to the phone.

I wish Starkey would send someone to run a course on Aids&iPhones for clients and Apple geniuses!! Apple geniuses try to be helpful but they know nothing about hearing aids. At least where I live.

Sep 9, 2015 10:43 AM in response to gilda92

Hi. Yes I open the battery doors every night and put the iPhone on airplane mode, no wifi / bluetooth. In the morning I take the phone off airplane mode and close the battery doors and I'm connected. Range? If I move away from my iPhone over 75 feet the bluetooth connection is lost. When I get back in range most times the HA's and iPhone will not reconnect, hence I need to restart the iPhone / go through the night time and morning routine.

frank

Starkey Halo 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.