Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Touch ID won't work and I'm locked out?

My iPhone 5S Touch ID has suddenly stopped working and I am locked out of my iPhone. I forgot my backup pass code as well because I didn't write it down. Do I have to go to the store to get this fixed or can I somehow have Apple call my phone (I can only answer calls from the lock screen,) and fix it? Please let me know!

iPhone 5s

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 7:54 AM

3 replies

Sep 3, 2015 10:53 AM in response to maryljg

Even with Touch ID working correctly you need to enter the passcode the first time the phone is used after it is powered on (i.e., every time you restart the phone). If the issue with the Touch ID is only that and you have forgotten the passcode, the following has instructions: If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

If there is something wrong with the phone that is causing the Touch ID issue then you may need to get it repaired/replaced.

Sep 3, 2015 11:21 AM in response to maryljg

This puzzles me.

maryljg wrote:

I forgot my backup pass code as well ...

You may mean one of two things:

1. You forgot the passcode to your iPhone. In that case, I have nothing to add to FoxFifth's recommendation above.

2. You forgot the passcode to a backup which you created in iTunes and therefore cannot restore from it. In this case, you will have to restore your device as new, and lose everything on it. See:

About encrypted backups in iTunes - Apple Support

iPhone Touch ID won't work and I'm locked out?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.