Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should AirDrop work from iPad Air 2 to MacBook Pro (mid-2012) + Yosemite (10.10.3)?

I have successfully sent from MacBook Pro (mid-2012 model) + Yosemite (10.10.3) to iPad Air 2 (iOS 8.3). I have also successfully sent between the iPad and an iPhone 5c (both ways). Despite the MacBook and the iPad both being 'discoverable' the iPad doesn't 'see' the MacBook.

I have scoured the Apple discussion groups and other internet help groups, checked all the settings for wi-fi, blue-tooth and AirDrop (set for 'Everyone'). One suggestion was to reset the SMC but I haven't tried that (nervous not understanding what it is doing!). All tests have been done with both devices within a metre of each other.

One site stated that AirDrop required a MacBook Pro from 2012 or later. Should my Mac be o.k. then? Why does it work from MacBook to iPad but not the other way round.

Thanks for any suggestions/help.

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 9:56 AM

2 replies

Sep 3, 2015 3:40 PM in response to Mike's Pad

Thanks for your reply. Yes I had checked the firewall settings; they were fine. Yes I had also looked at the Apple support pages you referred me to; I had also gone through that step by step - checked and re-checked. However I just looked at it again and noticed asterisked note that AirDrop "doesn't work with the mid-2012 MacBook Pro and iOS". Very strange then that It /does/ work one way (from MacBook to iOS) but not the other. I am left wondering why ...

Thanks for your help.

Should AirDrop work from iPad Air 2 to MacBook Pro (mid-2012) + Yosemite (10.10.3)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.