Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I go to install OSX on my macbook pro I get the Apple Screen with no spinning wheel

I bought myself a new Mac mini and went to reformat my old Macbook pro mid 2010 with all original parts except for I added a hybrid drive. When I tried to use the original software disk to reformat it to factory settings it just stalls on the Apple Icon on a grey screen with no spinning wheel.

The hard drive has been verified in Disk Utility and I have used disk utility to format the disk to various back ups of my wife's old macbook but there're some minor problems with her back ups (Chrome has been hijacked by Yahoo search engine even when you change it back to google it reverts to yahoo, and it requires a login on startup even though I've adjusted those settings).

I took the MBP in to the apple store and they made me an image of the system disk on a USB stick but that gets stalled at the same screen too.

I followed this advice:

"If you have the installer DVD that came with the computer, you can use that. Otherwise, if you have another (older) Mac with FireWire, there's a trick you can use: start your computer with the T key held down, and it'll go into target disk mode, which essentially means it turns its brain off and acts as an external FireWire hard disk. Connect it (via FireWire) to an older Mac, start the older Mac from your retail 10.6 DVD, and have it install onto the "external disk" -- the MBP. Then, restart the old Mac from the "external disk" (the MBP should still be in target mode at this point), and update to 10.6.8. Now that the OS on the MBP's disk is new enough to support it, shut everything down (older Mac, then the MBP) and restart everything from its regular disk."

from this discussion (http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/71225/cant-start-up-macbook-pro-from-os -x-install-discs) and it almost works...I succesfully got into target mode and selected the external disk to install OSX on but after OSX installs it just restarts the computer with the same files and set up on it rather than offering me the options of reformatting to set up without any files installed.

This is my last attempt with this MBP before I take it to a certified service provider.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 11:32 AM

There are no replies.

When I go to install OSX on my macbook pro I get the Apple Screen with no spinning wheel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.