Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt display detection problems. Worse after firmware update.

It seems that this problem has been around awhile. So, Apple, whats up with that? I have a thunderbolt display with a 2011 MBP.

The issues Ive had with this display have been ongoing for quite awhile, but usually fixed themselves after unplugging/replugging or rebooting. Initially, the problem was that sometimes the display would not wake-up after putting the MBP to sleep. But as I said, unplugging it usually worked. Then, lately, the display began to flash so fast it looked like a strobe. But, it stopped and then worked correctly after the usual unplugging. However, yesterday it was so bad, I checked and saw that there was a firmware update I missed. V1.2. It looked like it was the solution.

So, I downloaded the update and all seemed fine, until the computer had to restart. While it was booting up and loading the new firmware, the progress bar froze at about 80 percent. My only choice was to hold the power button down and let it re-boot. When it did though, the TB display was not recognized at all. No amount of plugging/unplugging has helped. Since the firmware update was apparently aborted, now it doesn't detect anything. I tried to run the firmware update again, but now it just says "Please update the Thunderbolt firmware in this computer and try again". Which means its telling me to update the firmware but when I try to do that, it tells me in order to update it, I have to update it first. ?????

I have not tried to re-set the SMC etc, after having read that others have tried it with mixed success. BTW, the TB's USB ports do function and the mag plug is powering the MBP fine, so its getting power. When checking to see if the Thunderbolt display is being recognized on the system report, it says Status: No device connected. And checking the "displays" on system preferences - nothing. When I press option for "detect displays" - nothing there either.

Any help, short of driving 80 miles to the apple store would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 8:52 AM

5 replies

Thunderbolt display detection problems. Worse after firmware update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.