Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot open the Messages app from my macbook pro, I get a problem report stating "Messages cannot be opened because of a problem, check with the developer... I am getting the notifications from messages but can't open the app itself, please help!

I cannot open the Messages app from my macbook pro, I get a problem report stating "Messages cannot be opened because of a problem, check with the developer... I am getting the notifications from messages but can't open the app itself, please help!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), imessage version is 8.0

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 10:17 AM

2 replies

Sep 3, 2015 10:35 AM in response to brittanyfritzz

The message I get is

Messages cannot be opened because of a problem.

Check with the developer to make sure Messages works with this version of OS X. You ay need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and OS X.

I've checked, and everything is up to date. How do I go about fixing this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.