Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto auto transfer to new mac

Will my existing iphoto library automatically transfer to a newly purchased mac without doing a manual transfer, i.e. is it stored in the cloud somewhere? I'm asking due to a hard drive failure on my existing computer.

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 12:10 PM

7 replies

Sep 3, 2015 5:38 PM in response to s.nico

s.nico wrote:

Will my existing iphoto library automatically transfer to a newly purchased mac without doing a manual transfer, i.e. is it stored in the cloud somewhere? I'm asking due to a hard drive failure on my existing computer.

No - your iPhoto library can not be on the cloud - if you have been using OS X 10.10.3 or newer and Photos and iCloud Photo Library then it would - but not with iPhoto - you need to restore your backup of the iPhoto library and use that tot migrate

LN

Sep 4, 2015 11:10 AM in response to Old Toad

not from an iPhoto library since iCloud Photo Library is not an option with iPhoto

Will my existing iphoto library automatically transfer to a newly purchased mac

If they have an iCloud Photo Library it will - but if their post is correct then they do not have ICPL

and of course none of this thread is really about if for IOS - it is about iPhoto and Photos for Mac I believe

LN

Sep 5, 2015 9:17 AM in response to s.nico

s.nico wrote:

Only the photos you kept in My Photo Stream or Shared albums will be in iCloud and download to iPhoto on a different Mac, if you are using the same Apple ID.

if you don't have a backup of your hard drive, you may try a data recovery service for the failed drive, but that will be expensive.

iphoto auto transfer to new mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.