Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 battery unexpectedly goes to zero!

My iPhone 6 recently has been fully charged and when I go to use it after it sits on the counter for an hour or two shows a black screen. When you press the two power buttons it shows a completely drained battery. This has happened twice to me in the last two weeks. I rebooted after the first episode thinking that might help but it did it again last night after I charged it to 100% and awoke to find it drained again. I am still within the one year warranty and made a Genius Bar appointment for this weekend. Has anyone had this happen and if so, did you get a battery replacement or do they have to change out the phone?

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 10:23 AM

2 replies

Sep 4, 2015 10:33 AM in response to Sooze29

Hello there, Sooze29.

It sounds like you've done a good job troubleshooting so far. It seems your iPhone won't power on or shows the charge/low-battery symbol even after you've charged it properly. The following Knowledge Base article provides some additional guidance for troubleshooting:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond or doesn't turn on - Apple Support

If your device still won't turn on or start up

Plug in your device and let it charge for at least 1 hour.

User uploaded file

After a few minutes, you should see the charging screen.

User uploaded file

If you don't see the charging screen within an hour, or you see the connect to power screen, check your connector, USB cable, and power adapter. Make sure that everything is plugged in firmly, free of debris, and not damaged. You might want to try a different USB cable or power adapter.

If your device still won't turn on, see what to do next.

{...}

What to do next

Contact Apple Support to set up service if you have any of these issues:

• You still see a black screen after charging, force restarting, or following the steps in this article.
  • You see a black screen, but can hear alerts, sounds, and vibrations.
  • Your screen is on, but it doesn't respond to when you tap, slide, or try other gestures.
  • You can't force your device to restart because your Home button or Sleep/Wake button is broken or stuck.
  • Your device is stuck on the Apple logo, displays a solid color, or isn't recognized in iTunes.

If you've already performed all of the above steps, then continuing to your Genius Bar appointment or using the Contact Apple Support link above is the right next step for you.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers.

Sep 4, 2015 6:23 PM in response to pedro d

Thank you Pedro d for taking the time to post that article. My situation isn't really about getting my iPhone 6 to power on, and I did follow the steps outlined in your article when I got the battery drained display and my phone recharges in an hour to 100% and I am good to go. My concern is my phone has twice been fully charged and when I go to use it perhaps an hour or two later it shows the black screen and displays the drained battery symbol. I plug it back in and it recharges just fine, but what is making the phone battery drain to zero in an hour or two without even turning it on? So without even using the phone the battery is going from fully charged to zero in a couple of hours. That never happened with my 4S in two years time and this iPhone 6 isn't even a year old! This behavior makes me think the battery is failing prematurely.

iPhone 6 battery unexpectedly goes to zero!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.