Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compositing

Hey,

I'm relatively new to FCPX so apologises in advance if I use the incorrect terminology!

I've basically edited a video and I've been given a .mov of a graphic/backdrop to use underneath text that I'll be writing in the lower third. The best way to describe it, is in the Title option, its a bit like the 'gradient center' option, but its red and my client has had it especially made for us.

The .mov file is just the red backdrop that appears in the lower third and the rest of the screen is black/blank.

I'm putting the clip onto of the primary storyline and I can see the red background over the main images, but the red is a lot fainter than it should be and barely visible. The Opacity is at 100%, so I'm not really sure why its so faint.

Any idea on what I have to do to fix it?

Thanks so much in advance!

Ant

Final Cut Pro X

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 10:17 AM

5 replies

Sep 3, 2015 11:01 AM in response to AAntRW

Hard to tell without looking over your shoulder or being able to see the information Tom has requested. I can take a guess or two, though.

To achieve a proper composite, the file you have been given must have a proper alpha channel and you must properly interpret the alpha as straight when you import the media. If you already know how to do this then we need to figure out why your movie is not appearing as expected. It is also possible the movie was created using a weird color space like CMYK instead of RGB.

Try to answer Tom's questions and we';ll see what we can do for you.

Sep 3, 2015 11:58 AM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for your reply - it's honestly must appreciated. I basically taught myself the basics of using FCP but situations like this have made me realise I need to properly learn how to use it!

Below are two screencaps as an example. The first image is of the lower third background that I want to use. As you can see, it's quite vibrant when you select that clip on its own (I've also just noticed that in Codecs the clip comes up as an animation).

The second screencap is how the animation looks when I actually place it on top of my video. It's like the animation is only just shining through, when ideally I want it on top of the video. If that makes sense?

It'll be great if you can let me know if you need any more information to help figure it out!

Thanks,

Ant

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Sep 3, 2015 12:05 PM in response to AAntRW

Your red clip uses the Animation codec which is correct for carrying the alpha information. However, the red area is showing properly, it's just too transparent. I'd guess whoever designed it really did't know what he or she was doing. Here's what I'd do if you can't get a better source file from the animation house.

1. Create an oval shape with feathered edges. Color it red. Make it as close to the shape of the original as you can.

2. Place this oval clip above the video clip and below the red thing. This will add some opacity to the effect.

If you have Motion and know hot use it, you can correct the designer's mistakes and redesign the clip.

You might also be able to stack two or three copies of this red clip on top of each other to build up the opacity. Do that in a new project, share it as ProRes 4444 which will carry the alpha transparency.

Sep 3, 2015 12:10 PM in response to AAntRW

Hide or remove the clip on the primary. Change the viewer options to show the alpha. Does the red area look pure white or a little gray?

Change the Info inspector to show Settings, the popup at the bottom left. Check the Alpha Handling options. It may work better premultiplied, or it may work better straight. There's no way to tell unless you know which way it was processed.

Compositing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.