Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

15-inch Retina MacBook Pro - How long should my battery last before replacement?

Hi all.

I have a 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro, and it recently came back from a repair with Apple, and it was noted that they put in a new battery.

Being a student, and needing my battery to hold the maximum amount of charge for as long as possible, I wanted to know...

What should I do to make the battery last long (lifespan, being that I want to make it last as long as possible before having to shell out hundreds for a new battery)?

How long should this battery last before I have to get it replaced?

I'm a student, going from lectures and moving around frequently... so I just wanted to know everything I should be doing to maximum lifespan, as well as making it hold a good charge for a long time, and basically just working as best as it can, holding the best charge / having a great lifespan, I hope that makes sense? I'm not sure exactly how to word it. I guess I could say I just want to make sure it has the maximum lifespan as possible with holding a great charge, as well as wanting to know how much time these usually are good for before having to send it in for a replacement battery, as well as wanting to know tips to maximize everything?

Thanks.

Additionally, I've included things from my system report, maybe someone could let me know if I'm doing anything wrong?:

Battery Information:

Model Information:

Serial Number: D865202Y005FWF8BG

Manufacturer: SMP

Device Name: bq20z451

Pack Lot Code: 0

PCB Lot Code: 0

Firmware Version: 702

Hardware Revision: 1

Cell Revision: 1206

Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 8729

Fully Charged: No

Charging: Yes

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 8854

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 4

Condition: Normal

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): 466

Voltage (mV): 12806

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 11:03 AM

What should I do to make the battery last long (lifespan, being that I want to make it last as long as possible before having to shell out hundreds for a new battery)

Follow these guidelines:

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

What you are doing is fine. It has been my experience that batteries last longest among users who ignore it altogether, whereas those who constantly obsess over it often need to replace it prematurely.

Don't worry about the particular percent charge. Don't even show the percentage value in your Mac's menu bar. Really. It will last for years, perhaps as long as your MBP. Budget 50¢ a week for battery depreciation, and you will have more than enough to replace it when required.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2015 11:03 AM in response to MitchellB92

What should I do to make the battery last long (lifespan, being that I want to make it last as long as possible before having to shell out hundreds for a new battery)

Follow these guidelines:

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

What you are doing is fine. It has been my experience that batteries last longest among users who ignore it altogether, whereas those who constantly obsess over it often need to replace it prematurely.

Don't worry about the particular percent charge. Don't even show the percentage value in your Mac's menu bar. Really. It will last for years, perhaps as long as your MBP. Budget 50¢ a week for battery depreciation, and you will have more than enough to replace it when required.

Sep 3, 2015 11:00 AM in response to John Galt

Thank you! I don't want to sound rude by asking for more details, but you say it will last for years, perhaps as long as the MBP...

Years... Up to like 3-4 years, or more so like 4-6 years (or more?)

Thanks.

And yes, it makes sense that if someone is to constantly obsess over the battery for theirs to die sooner, if they are constantly worried.

My fear is just spending $2,000 for a rMBP not too long ago and wanting to make sure that the lifespan of everything lasts a good long while, including my battery.

Sep 3, 2015 11:13 AM in response to MitchellB92

It's a wide range, and predicting an "average life" would be as futile a task as it would be elusive. I have had batteries that lasted 7 years before they became too inconvenient to use, and you would have to work pretty hard to get that to occur in as little as 3 years. The thing to bear in mind is that all batteries are wear items that will require eventual replacement, but that ought not to be a major concern. In dollar terms, it's literally equivalent to a cup of coffee a month. Unless you frequent Starbucks that is.

15-inch Retina MacBook Pro - How long should my battery last before replacement?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.