Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't create boot camp partition, fsck doesn't work

Hello everybody,

Today I decided to create a windows 7 boot camp partition on my mid2010 MacBook Pro. I'd rather have windows 8 but that is not possible on my machine.

So, when I set everything up through Boot Camp assistant, it says 'Can't partition the drive' (in Dutch, so I don't know exactly what It'd say in English). So I did what everyone on the Apple Support Communities told everybody else to do: a fsck in Single User Mode. After I did that (twice in a row, so that the screen says eventually 'volume seems to be OK') I tried again partitioning my Drive through Boot Camp, Disk Utility and also the DU in Recovery Drive; nothing works, I get the same message every time: "Couldn’t modify partition map because file system verification failed"

Is there some other solution? I've had a win7 Boot Camp partition before, so I don't understand why I couldn't have one now.

Thanks in advance!

(I have a 2010 MacBook Pro 4gb ram Intel i5 250GB HD)

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), mid 2010

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 12:16 PM

5 replies

Oct 9, 2017 5:21 PM in response to Kappy

Hi there-

I am having a similar issue to the poster. Newer (2014) Macbook Pro running now MacOS High Sierra. Cannot install Windows w/ Boot Camp due to same error with partitioning. I did a re-install but it didn't work (without deleting my files)... I backed up everything with Time Machine- my question now is, if I recover w/ a Time Machine backup will it undo what I did with an erase/reinstall?

Thanks 😀

Oct 10, 2017 1:16 AM in response to whathe

Since you have a full backup under High Sierra, I suggest erasing your internal drive when booted in Internet Recovery, restoring the TM backup and retrying the Windows installation.

There is enough evidence to support the fact that the APFS upgrade/conversion has issues with underlying file system. A TM erase/restore seems to correct such issues in most cases.

Sep 3, 2015 12:29 PM in response to boudewijnpleij

You will not like the solution, but:

1. Backup all your files.
  2. Boot to the Recovery HD.
  3. Erase the internal HDD.
  4. Re-install OS X.

Install or Reinstall OS X from Scratch

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears.

Erase the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your startup volume (usually Macintosh HD) from the

left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Optionally, click on

the Security button and set the Zero Data option to one-pass. Click on

the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should install the version of OS X that you had installed. Now use Boot Camp Assistant in the Utilities folder to create your desired Windows partition. Be sure it's of adequate size because there is no easy way to re-size it after the fact.

can't create boot camp partition, fsck doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.