Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New macbook disconnects 5ghz

I have a new MBP purchased about two weeks ago. If I use the 5ghz WiFi, it will work for a little while then although the WiFi stays connected, no internet is available. If I ping the router (a Virgin media super hub 2), I get constant timeouts. Re-booting the MBP or the router resolves the issue for a short period, then it fils again.

User uploaded file

After extensive research I have:

Created a new network on MBP.

Reset all the network preferences by removing the files and letting the MCP recreate them.

Changed the channel on the router from auto to a higher range.

Changed the DNS settings to use open DNS.

Created a unique SSID just for the MBP.

Reserved an IP address for the MBP.

All of the above and some more tips found in forums. I have also reversed all of the above to no effect.

The MBP maintains a consistent connection using the 2.4ghz band. My old MBP (2012) running Yosemite never had this issue.

Any help gratefully received, thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 11:02 AM

4 replies

Sep 3, 2015 12:19 PM in response to Billbudd

The warranty entitles you to complimentary phone support for the first 90 days of ownership.

If you bought the product in the U.S. directly from Apple (not from a reseller), you have 14 days from the date of delivery in which to exchange or return it for a refund. In other countries, the return policy may be different. If you bought from a reseller, its return policy applies.

Sep 14, 2015 11:20 PM in response to monnone

Hi,

Alas I did not manage to resolve this, so my only course of action was to put my Virgin Media Super Hub into modem mode and purchase a new router. This has resolved the issue for me, albeit cost more money.

I spent several sessions with an Apple support guy, he was very helpful and professional, but alas everything we tried made no difference.

Virgin Media Super Hub - super I think not.

Regards,

Bill

Sep 15, 2015 7:18 AM in response to Billbudd

Thanks for taking the time to respond back! I don't think this a MBP issue. I woke up this morning to no 5GHZ wifi...on the MBP or Apple TV(s). I had to connect the MBP through 2.4 and that worked fine. However once I rebooted the router all worked again. I recently bought the ASUS Extreme AC2400 (RT-AC87R) but am seriously looking into returning it for something more reliable (what ever that may be!)

New macbook disconnects 5ghz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.