Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

prevent messages from showing on iMAC

I want to connect my iPhone to my iMAC to sync my calendar and be able to exchange photos. However, I do not want my text messages and email messages to show up on the iMAC. I've tried "hiding" messages and email, but they continue to popup. Is there a way to disable messages and email from popping up on the iMAC while keeping the iCloud connection between my iMAC and iPhone?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 9:58 AM

Howdy jclark63,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

I see from your post that you'd like to disable iMessage and iCloud email on your iMac, while keeping the other syncing options. To do this, simply sign out of iMessage in the Messages settings, and disable Mail in your iCloud settings.

Open the Messages app, select Messages > Preferences, then click the Accounts icon

What to do after you change your Apple ID email address or password - Apple Support

On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click iCloud.

iCloud: Open iCloud preferences

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2015 9:58 AM in response to jclark63

Howdy jclark63,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

I see from your post that you'd like to disable iMessage and iCloud email on your iMac, while keeping the other syncing options. To do this, simply sign out of iMessage in the Messages settings, and disable Mail in your iCloud settings.

Open the Messages app, select Messages > Preferences, then click the Accounts icon

What to do after you change your Apple ID email address or password - Apple Support

On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click iCloud.

iCloud: Open iCloud preferences

Take care.

Sep 5, 2015 11:26 AM in response to jclark63

Hi jclark63,

That is correct, disabling iMessage on your iMac will also prevent you from sending any messages. It is not possible to have iMessage enabled only to send, but not receive messages. One workaround I can think of is that you can disable notification alerts with Messages, so you don't see the popup when a message is received.

To open Notifications preferences, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Notifications.

OS X Yosemite: Notifications preferences

Have a good one.

prevent messages from showing on iMAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.