Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import video and sound from DV camcorder (Sony DCR-PC3E)

I have an older DV format Sony camcorder which has composite audio/video jack, 4 pin S-Video and Firewire outputs, (Sony DCR-PC3E). I believe I can use a Firewire to Thunderbolt cable to link the camcorder to my iMAC (running Yosemite and iMovie 10.0.9). However, iMovie does not have my camcorder listed as one that it can provide drivers for (possibly) and I have also read that a thunderbolt connection will look for a thunderbolt device at the other end, even if you are connecting via a firewire plug. I am not sure how to progress from here, but I want to import the highest quality DV images as I can without spending a fortune on complex interfaces. Any suggestions or previous experience would be welcome, particularly if Apple or Sony have a suitable driver/interface somewhere I have not found so far. Thank you.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 11:06 AM

5 replies

Sep 5, 2015 3:02 PM in response to JAD2014

I have not seen any Thunderbolt to 4 pin Firewire cables, but Thunderbolt to 9 pin Firewire cables are available from Apple or Amazon, £25 or so.

This will mean that you will also need a 4 pin to 9 pin cable as well but these are available for a few pounds, eBay etc.

The Firewire end on the Thunderbolt to 9 pin Firewire cable is equivalent to a Firewire 9 pin port so the 9 pin on the 4 to 9 pin plugs into this" port".

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MD464ZM/A/thunderbolt-to-firewire-adapter

Sep 16, 2015 8:18 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Hi thanks for the advice, I have now got a four pin cable to collect DV out from the camcorder to a Thunderbolt input direct to the iMAC,and lo and behold, iMovie recognises the camcorder's presence and I can view and presumably import video from the camcorder.....brilliant so far.....however there is an annoying flicker on the imported image, about once ever two to three seconds. Any ideas how to stop this???

Import video and sound from DV camcorder (Sony DCR-PC3E)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.