Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 5 won't update to ios 8.4.1: Not enough space

The Error says I need 610 MB of space, but my phone has 2.4 GB free.

User uploaded file

Trying to update via iTunes on Mac Book Pro

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 11:43 AM

7 replies

Sep 3, 2015 1:31 PM in response to crschrader

I know that you addressed your question to Demo and he will invariably reply. My two cents... The space reported by your phone is the accurate amount, the space reported by iTunes is an estimate and often varies, particularly when it has been a while between syncs. iTunes unfortunately "believes" its own estimate thus is unable to complete. Your phone very likely has a corrupted Other and about the only way to correct that is to do a Restore. Here is how:

Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Also for what ever it is worth, I "Restored" both my iPad and iPhone in the last two weeks. I do that on occasion not only to reduce Other (it drops to about 200-300 MBs) but also to install a fresh copy of the iOS. Have never lost any data or settings.... other than one free app iTunes could not find but was indeed in the store, an easy re-download (iTunes warned me about this). iTunes is really superb, it will guide you through the process rather easily and of course you have folks in here that can step in as well. Good luck.

My iPhone 5 won't update to ios 8.4.1: Not enough space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.