Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi indicator changes and connection slows

I am having an odd connectivity issue and can not find an answer already on the forums. My wifi appears to be always connected and the wifi diagnostics does not indicate that it disconnects.

However, my data downloads/web page loads, etc. seem to be delayed in association to what the airport icon says in the menu bar. If you click on the icon you get:

wifi: looking for networks

alternating every 3 or so seconds with

wifi: on

when I click a new website, if the icon is stating looking for networks, there will be a 3 second or so delay, until, as I can observe, the icon switches back to wifi: on at which time the page rapidly loads. This amounts to frequent 3 second delays while surfing although occasionally it does this for up to ten seconds of delay. I just upgraded router last week from verizon and it appears to be doing this on all devices, macbook pro, retina iMac, iPad.

Any thoughts? Its not normal for it to switch from a constant "on" to this search

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 12:29 AM

It is normal and expected that your Mac will display a message of "searching for networks" about every 3 seconds when WiFi is turned "On". Something would be very wrong if it did not do this.

I just upgraded router last week from verizon and it appears to be doing this on all devices, macbook pro, retina iMac, iPad.

What model number of Apple AirPort wireless router do you have? We support the AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme and AirPort Time Capsule on this forum. If you have another brand of router, we are sorry, but we cannot help on that product.

If your previous router was not having problems....and the problems started when you "upgraded" to another router, that is a strong clue as far as where the issue might be.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2015 12:29 AM in response to croachmd

It is normal and expected that your Mac will display a message of "searching for networks" about every 3 seconds when WiFi is turned "On". Something would be very wrong if it did not do this.

I just upgraded router last week from verizon and it appears to be doing this on all devices, macbook pro, retina iMac, iPad.

What model number of Apple AirPort wireless router do you have? We support the AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme and AirPort Time Capsule on this forum. If you have another brand of router, we are sorry, but we cannot help on that product.

If your previous router was not having problems....and the problems started when you "upgraded" to another router, that is a strong clue as far as where the issue might be.

wifi indicator changes and connection slows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.