Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPAD Air 2 map location error

My IPAD Air 2 shows the location incorrectly when I connect to my home wireless dualband router at 5GHz. My location is in Kansas but my map app and other aps requiring location services shows my IPAD is located in Georgia. This is a new problem which started since a recent download of IOS 8.4.1. The odd thing is that if I switch the IPAD to 2.4GHz the location on the apps is correct. I would appreciate any suggestions.

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 12:11 PM

10 replies

Sep 4, 2015 12:23 PM in response to katman2264

Hello katman2264,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see you are getting incorrect map location information on your iPad Air. You don't say if you have a Wi-Fi only or a Wi-Fi + cellular, that could make a difference with the accuracy. You can take a look at the following article to get help with Maps:

Get help with Maps on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Regards

Sep 5, 2015 6:49 AM in response to jeffd55

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi(only), iOS 8.4.1

The suggested article did not address my situation. My situation seems odd that the location service whether looking at Maps or for the nearest "Home Depot" for instance, works correctly when connected to the 2.4GHz band, however the 5GHz band on the Trendnet Router show my location 1,300 miles away. This has only started since downloading 8.4.1 IOS.

Sep 5, 2015 7:06 AM in response to katman2264

This seems odd indeed.... more likely due to a router issue, perhaps? Do you have another iOS device or computer to test the two bands? Do you see the same behavior with them?

Try rebooting your router. Unplug it for 2 minutes and then plug it back in and see. Also may want to check for the latest firmware for your router.

Also on your iPad, go to Settings > Wi-Fi, select your SSID (while on the 5 band), click on the ℹ icon on the right and change the DNS to Google's DNS, 8.8.8.8 Don't worry, if you want to return to the old DNS, just Forget this Network and rejoin it, the old DNS will show up.

Also download the free Google Maps App and see if the same thing occurs there. I hardly use Maps, prefer the Google Maps app myself.

Sep 5, 2015 7:37 AM in response to katman2264

Fair enough, I take it that your other iOS devices work ok with Maps, correct? And that you have rebooted the router (it only takes 2 minutes)?

Go to Settings > Wi-Fi > and you should see the network you are logged on to with a check mark next to it. The name of the network is the SSID. Click on the i with the circle around it and then under DNS erase all those numbers and enter exactly 8.8.8.8

Then click on < Wi-Fi on top and return all the way to the home screen. To be sure I would restart the device. Then test the Maps app again.

If this does not work try the Google Maps App - I am trying to isolate this to just the Apple Maps App. It could be a corrupted Apple Maps App and if you do as above we should be able to determine. If corrupted there are things to try but they are more elaborate. Please post back.

Sep 5, 2015 7:54 AM in response to elcpu

First off, thanks for your assistance!

I downloaded Google Maps and the result is the same as it was with IPAD Maps and Google chrome. At 2.4 GHz the location finds my house and at 5 GHz the target is six states to the east. I also tried changing the DNS as you suggested and the result was the same. I have no other IOS devices to try with my router, however, I did substitute a different manufactures dual band router and the result was the same as with my router.

Sep 5, 2015 8:32 AM in response to katman2264

OK... While on the 2.4 band I looked for "Home Depot" on both Apple Maps and Google Maps and they both showed the two closest locations to me near Houston. I then logged on to my 5 band and the same, both Maps and Goggle Maps after a refresh and reentering Home Depot still show the closest locations. So this tells me what I suspected, that there does not appear to be a bug with 8.4.1.

My conclusion is that you have some goblins running around your iPad, be careful.... 🙂

Seriously now, in an ideal case you would invite a friend or neighbor with an iPhone or iPad to your home and ask them to check themselves. If they see the same behavior I would suspect that there is indeed something off with the router. Instead you could go to a public wi-fi and check but finding one using the 5 band may not be easy, you would have to ask and they may not know (no way to determine from the iPad, but easy with a Mac).

If it is not the router, then I would suspect a corrupted iOS 8.4.1 download. This seems unlikely to me but possible. To correct this you would have to do a complete Restore as per below. You would not be losing anything but it will take you 45-60 minutes (it took me 55 last time).

Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

If you are interested in the latter, let me know and I will post more details (cut and paste so easy for me to do)

Best....

el

Sep 11, 2015 9:16 AM in response to elcpu

I stumbled onto a fix for my location problem. I was going thru settings and came across "Find My IPAD" I noticed that when dis-enabled a notation indicated that "find my ipad" would allow location of the ipad on a map so I re-enabled it and checked both bands on my router. No change after the first try.

Then I switched to 5GHz band and dis-enabled "find my ipad" again. Then I re-enabbled it and checked maps and sure enough, that fixed the location problem. The first time I dis-enabled it I was on the 2.4GHz band. The second time, I was on the 5GHz band. I thought you might want to know the resolution. Thanks for you assistance!

IPAD Air 2 map location error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.