Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macpro 17 (early 2011) suddenly is running hot (fan comes on) and runs and loads very slow. What is going on? Time more memory and upgrade to SSD?

My MacPro 17 early 2011 edition suddenly is running hot (fan on a lot) and runs very slowly. Need solutions for a fix.

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 3:18 PM

check Activity Monitor for high CPU usage

reset PRAM and SMC, installing SSD is a very good idea

5 replies

Sep 3, 2015 3:41 PM in response to cabakroll

It was Google Helper that was the program that was gobbling up the CPU usage. When I force quit the program, the computer's fans shut down. Noticed that the program appears several times on the CPU usage list. Goring to reset the PRAM and SMC. The PRAM reset looks complex so I did not attempt it. Will try it if the problem reoccurs. I did reset the SMC, which was very easy on this MacPro 17 intel-based early 2011 model.

Thanks for your help.

My macpro 17 (early 2011) suddenly is running hot (fan comes on) and runs and loads very slow. What is going on? Time more memory and upgrade to SSD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.