Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time capsule and extension

I've added my time capsule to my 5ghz wifi system, i have a dual band, ( from my wifi router to the capsule). capsule created its own network. Would that slow down my wifi in any way, how is that extending if capsule created a new wifi name?!

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 2:29 PM

1 reply

Sep 3, 2015 2:39 PM in response to XXXVIII

I''ve added my time capsule to my 5ghz wifi system, i have a dual band, ( from my wifi router to the capsule). capsule created its own network. Would that slow down my wifi in any way,

No

how is that extending if capsule created a new wifi name?!

It's not extending your current network. If you want the Time Capsule to extend your current network, you must set it up to create a new network that uses the exact same wireless network name and password as your current network.

If you do this, you will have two wireless access points broadcasting the same network, and devices will connect to the access point that has the strongest signal. You can add more access points if needed. I have 5 at my house, for example.

The WiFi at a real airport does the same thing, except there might be 50-100 different access points all broadcasting the same signal. So, no matter where you go in the airport, you stay on the same network and pick up the strongest available signal available based on your location.

time capsule and extension

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.