Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Talk to "written" text - iOS 8.4.1

Can you still use the "talk to written text" feature in iOS 8.4.1? I used this feature ALL OF THE TIME in messages and for internet typing/searches and it no longer functions as it did in the prior iOS version using the microphone on the keyboard. I do not want audio text messages - they do not offer privacy in public settings; especially when you prefer to read a text message rather than hold the phone to your ear - which happens in many situations. Using the Talk to "Written" text is much faster than typing, especially since my fingers have trouble hitting the right keys with the small keyboard on my iPhone 5. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

slfjpb

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4.1, null

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 1:52 PM

8 replies

Sep 3, 2015 2:15 PM in response to slfjpb

Speech to text hasn't changed any time recently. Unless you've turned it off, the mic should be to the left of the space bar.

If it's not, check the following:

Settings>Genera>Siri and make sure it's turned on.

Settings>General>Keyboard>Enable Dictation and make sure it's turned on.

Make sure you have an active data connection as it's also required for dictation to work.

Talk to "written" text - iOS 8.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.