Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen installation mac os on "non mac edition" graphic card

Hello,

First of all i'm sorry if my discussion isn't very clear my situation is a bit complex :

I have a mid 2010 Mac Pro, on which i changed my original graphic card to a Gtx 980.

I want to precise that i don't have my original graphic card a Radeon 5870.

I recently bought an SSD and wanted to install Mac os Yosémite on it.

My 1st intention was to install it using a boot through Time Machine but it did not work since i cant use Recovery HD anymore, because of my non "mac edition" graphic card.

I gave up this idea and tried to installed Yosémite on the SSD by downloading the installer directly from the Apple Store.

I lauched the installer followed the installation and when it asked me to restart my computer to continue, i clicked yes.

But when i restarted my computer, i got stuck on a black screen the installation launcher doesn't start nothing happens and i cant start my computer anymore.

I understand why : Because i don't have a certified "mac edition" graphic card, but now i'm completely stuck, cannot do anything, i tried to reset the NVRAM

but that didn't work aswell.

So i would like to know if any of you have ever deal with this problem and if you have a solution ?

I can see a solution but i would like avoiding it : i think i have to buy a mac edition graphic card in order to complete the installation, because it will have a boot screen, but i would like to know if you have another one.

Thanks in advance,

My apoligies for my Bad English, i tried my best !

Mac Pro (Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 3:19 PM

12 replies

Sep 4, 2015 9:44 AM in response to lllaass

Ive done what you told me, installed yosemite on my tower internal SSD HD, then shut down my latpop unplugged the FireWire cable, started my tower but still got a black screen.

The little icon on the right down corner of my display is still bliking like there no data sent by my graphic card.

I don't know what to do anymore, may it be possible through my laptopt to tell the targeted disk computer to restart on my original mac os hardrive or even bootcamp ?

Sep 4, 2015 2:02 PM in response to lllaass

My card is on the 1st Slot, the one at the bottom, the only orther card plugged i have is a PCI 3.0 expansion usb 3 card that look like this http://upload.ecvv.com/upload/Product/201310/China_7_Port_Superspeed_USB_3_0_PCI _E_Express_Expansion_Card_with_5V_4_Pin_Power_Connector_for_Desktops201310151235 387.jpg

I will try to reset the SMC and i will keep you in touch.

Black screen installation mac os on "non mac edition" graphic card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.