Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating Mac OS 10.6.3 and keep getting stuck in the galaxy start up screen

I posted earlier, but had all the numbers wrong, so I'm posting again. I apologize.

I have a Mac that was purchased in 2010. It's Mac OS 10.6.3 and I'm trying to run updates. I've spoke with Apple and I ran a repair on my hard drive in disk utility. It came up as an error. So I completely reinstalled with my original disc. I verified hard drive and there aren't any more errors. So I went to run the updates again, but it's again stuck in the start up galaxy screen. It's been a couple hours. I'm not sure if this is normal? How long does it normally take? If it should be quick and not take as long as it has been taking, then I have no clue what could be wrong??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm an online student, so I really need to get this issue solved ASAP.

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 2:25 PM

7 replies

Sep 3, 2015 2:28 PM in response to xoalibee

Quit the installation. Reboot from the installer disk. Do this:

Clean Install of Snow Leopard

1. Boot the computer using the Snow Leopard Installer Disc or the Disc 1 that came

with your computer. Insert the disc into the optical drive and restart the computer.

After the chime press and hold down the "C" key. Release the key when you see

a small spinning gear appear below the dark gray Apple logo.

2. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue

button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

After DU loads select the hard drive entry from the left side list (mfgr.'s ID and drive

size.) Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window. Set the number of

partitions to one (1) from the Partitions drop down menu, click on Options button

and select GUID, click on OK, then set the format type to MacOS Extended

(Journaled, if supported), then click on the Apply button.

3. When the formatting has completed quit DU and return to the installer. Proceed

with the OS X installation and follow the directions included with the installer.

4. When the installation has completed your computer will Restart into the Setup

Assistant. After you finish Setup Assistant will complete the installation after which

you will be running a fresh install of OS X. You can now begin the update process

by opening Software Update and installing all recommended updates to bring your

installation current.

Download and install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1.

If you still have no success then you probably do have a bad HDD. In any event, make an appointment at the Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar and take it in for service. If you are not in the USA or cannot set up an appointment this way, then contact your local Apple Store directly.

Sep 3, 2015 2:48 PM in response to Kappy

I believe this is what Apple support had me do once my hard drive ran an error. I erased the hard drive and followed these steps and still running into this issue.

Do you have an estimated time of how long an update can take? I'm going to just schedule an appointment. But it's incredibly frustrating being a student and all. Argh!

Sep 3, 2015 3:13 PM in response to Kappy

Also, if I were to try this, would I lose everything on my hard drive? I ended up having to delete everything off my hard drive and late last night I was trying to reinstall several apps. Just wondering if I'd have to start all over AGAIN if I tried these steps?

I did do the whole insert installer disc, restart, press C, go to DU, verify hard drive, ran an error, repaired hard drive, still didn't work, so I erased hard drive, then I THINK I did these steps you're talking about (step 2). I went through with the installation and it was as if I had a brand new Mac (that was several years old lol). I had to put all my files back on my computer that I backed up on an external hard drive and I began reinstalling things like Photoshop, etc.

Some apps will not let me reinstall because I need to update my Mac. Which was my original issue and why I went through the whole process of erasing the hard drive and reinstalling. So, I went to run the update, thinking it SHOULD work this time and it's been in the start up galaxy screen for about 3 hours now.

Sep 3, 2015 3:52 PM in response to xoalibee

Reinstalling OS X from scratch may take 25-45 minutes depending on the particular machine. Reinstalling over an existing system may take from 45 minutes to an hour or so given the same assumptions.

If your drive is producing numerous errors even when trying to erase it and/or install OS X, then that's a good sign there is a problem with the drive.

Sep 4, 2015 12:26 PM in response to Kappy

I did the re-installation already and checked the hard drive and it ran no errors. It says my hard drive is good to go. So, not sure if that's the issue. I made an appointment with Apple this evening. Hopefully they can figure it out for me! I've spent weeks trying to figure it out talking to Apple via phone and email so I'm just ready to hand it over to someone else... I don't think it's something I can fix myself!

Updating Mac OS 10.6.3 and keep getting stuck in the galaxy start up screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.