Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow Copy Speed via USB?

I'm backing up some stuff on a seperate computer and i'm doing the file transfer via a Lexar 32GB JumpDrive set as File System MS-DOS FAT32. I'm copying the files on to a computer using Linux Ubuntu. The write speed on Ubuntu is faster so I am worried. I recently acknowledge that the copy speed is very slow. A 23GB file takes about 45 minutes. Is there anyone that can help me with this problem? I have had this iMac for 2 years now and it has been working perfectly fine but this keeps bothering me. Any help appreciated 🙂 (sorry for bad english)

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), null

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 5:03 PM

4 replies

Sep 3, 2015 5:34 PM in response to dianeoforegon

Thanks for replying so quickly.

I can see in System Information that the Speed: 480 Mb/s. So that means it is an USB 2.0. I'm just copying files from Mac to USB and then from USB to Linux Ubuntu. I'm backing the files up on the Linux machine. And the HUB speed is 480 Mb/s also.

On the Linux machine it is copying from USB to HDD in a speed of ~30 megaBYTES/s. If this is the normal speed of USB 2.0, I will invest on buying an external USB 3.0 HDD.

Slow Copy Speed via USB?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.