Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't move file to DropBox from Pages for iPad

Pages won't turn on/allow the "Move to DropBox" function on my iPad.

I want to move a Pages document to DropBox without leaving a copy in iCloud Drive.

Normally, this is done in the Documents Manager of Pages

1. using the "up-arrow-in-square" icon,
  2. then select "Move to…",
  3. select the document to move,
  4. select "Locations" tab when default iCloud Drive panel appears
  5. At this point, you should see a list of locations to which you can move your document. This is where you would expect to see DropBox.
  6. If you don't see it, you are supposed to select "More" to go to the "Manage Locations" panel where you can toggle on DropBox as a move destination.
  7. I have the Documents app installed and it works as a "location" as intended; I have toggled Documents on in Manage Locations and it appears as a move destination.

The malfunction is that DropBox does not appear as a move destination despite being toggled on in the Manage Locations panel. I believe it is a Pages bug because another app (Documents) appears as intended as a move destination when toggled on.

BTW, DropBox does appear as a copy destination. But I want to move, not copy. I don't want a file version persisting on iCloud Drive once I have finished editing on my iPad.

I would appreciate any other iOS DropBox + Pages users testing out my process above to let me know if you can move a file from Pages. Did I get anything wrong?

Versions: Pages 2.5.4, DropBox 3.9.6, Documents 5.4.0 on iOS 8.4.1 on an iPad 2

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iOS 8.4.1, Documents by Readdle 5.4.0, Pages 2.5.4

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 4:16 PM

4 replies

Sep 4, 2015 5:04 AM in response to Frank Parks

Dropbox has had an issue with this functionality for quite some time. It isn't clear that the problem is on Apple's side - seems to be limited to Dropbox. The easiest workaround is to use the Open in Another app function (Drop Box will show up there; as should Documents if you are connecting to Dropbox via it) and then delete the file after the copy process is completed.

Sep 4, 2015 5:07 AM in response to Frank Parks

Frank Parks wrote:

The malfunction is that DropBox does not appear as a move destination despite being toggled on in the Manage Locations panel. I believe it is a Pages bug because another app (Documents) appears as intended as a move destination when toggled on.

As previously indicated, your logic here is backwards. Other apps and services work fine, but Dropbox doesn't. That indicates the issue is with Dropbox and how it is coded to work in this context. I have submitted a support request to Dropbox in the past, but nothing much has come of it.

Can't move file to DropBox from Pages for iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.