Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

turn a line of lower case into upper case?

is there a mac keyboard shortcut or quick easy way to turn a typed line of lower case into upper case without having to retype the whole sentence?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 5:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 6:03 PM

You may be able to use 'Text Transformations'. Select the text & right click, it should bring up a menu, within there is a 'Transformations > Make uppercase' item, that should work in most apps.

Another option is to setup a service with a shortcut…

Open 'Apple Menu > System Preferences > Keyboard, Shortcuts' tab. Select the 'Services'. Scroll through the list & look of the 'Text' section. Enable the 'Convert to uppercase' & 'Convert to lowercase' items & assign a shortcut to them.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2015 6:03 PM in response to -Ryco

You may be able to use 'Text Transformations'. Select the text & right click, it should bring up a menu, within there is a 'Transformations > Make uppercase' item, that should work in most apps.

Another option is to setup a service with a shortcut…

Open 'Apple Menu > System Preferences > Keyboard, Shortcuts' tab. Select the 'Services'. Scroll through the list & look of the 'Text' section. Enable the 'Convert to uppercase' & 'Convert to lowercase' items & assign a shortcut to them.

Mar 29, 2017 12:17 PM in response to raja777m

This post is 2 years old - nothing lasts forever, especially Apple software features!

If you can't see the option anymore you can complain to Apple or try making/ finding a Service to replace the feature.

I suspect there is an AppleScript solution but I have not looked. Post your own question to get better suggestions, or use http://www.apple.com/feedback/

May 13, 2017 9:02 AM in response to 50bbx

50bbx wrote:

Doesn't work in Pages.

So click on the help menu in Pages & enter 'Uppercase' or 'Lowercase'.

If Pages has that feature it should list it as a 'Menu Item' & allow you to see where it is in the menus by selecting it in the list.

Not every app has the same shortcuts or features. Ask in the Pages forum for better help this topic is full of 'me too' posts that make it difficult to see what is specific to each person.

Sep 3, 2015 6:44 PM in response to -Ryco

Thank you for your quick responses.

This was to change the case font of lettering in a post thread in a browser forum (yeh - FaceBook lol)
When I tried shift+command+U it opens "Utilities".

What I was able to do was "copy" the text from the browser Forum into a "New Message" in "Mail". From there I could access the "Text Transformations" > "Make Upper Case" option from the "Edit" drop down menu in the upper toolbar. Worked like a charm.

Hit "Edit" in Forum thead; "Delete" thread response and "Paste" in edited response.

I don't use "Text Edit" very often. I do use "Mail" and "New Message" as a word processor app to edit material.

turn a line of lower case into upper case?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.