Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flash player

Hi, I realise that this is probably a stupid question, but I have to ask.

I have a brand new 12 inch Macbook and of course Flash player is not installed. Everything I have read on the support site seems to be bad news.

IS there an alternative to installing flash player on my new machine so that I can actually use some of the sites I usually use which require flash player to work.

Please if anybody out there has a solution I will be very grateful to hear from them. Thank you.

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 4:46 PM

3 replies

Sep 3, 2015 5:41 PM in response to magdamarsh

Flash is in well-deserved decline, but Flash content is still widespread on the Web. Although Flash vulnerabilities are often found by security researchers, I know of no active exploits against it on OS X at the moment.

There is no alternative to Adobe Flash Player for viewing Flash content. If you choose to install it, you can reduce your exposure by checking the box marked

Stop plug-ins to save power

in Advanced tab of the Safari preferences window, if it's not already checked.

The Safari extensions "ClickToFlash" and "ClickToPlugin" prevent Flash content from loading automatically, and will also cause non-Flash video to be substituted for Flash on YouTube and maybe some other sites. Similar extensions must exist for Firefox and Chrome, but I'm not familiar with them. You must always do your own research to determine the safety and effectiveness of any third-party software before using it.

Flash player

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.