Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where does QuickTime Player 7 store temp files in Yosemite (10.10.5)?

I was audio recording a class. When I finished, the stop button wouldn't work--it just kept recording. Finally I closed my laptop bc I had to go home. When I got home, the recording had stopped, but was frozen--couldn't save or anything. I am afraid to close QT7 for fear of losing it.

Now search how I may, I cannot find where QT7 stores temp files (if it does). I have googled and searched for way over 2 hours and polled all my geeky friends. Found lots of stuff that was very old, or refrred to regular QT. Tried it all, no dice. Found nothing recent for 7.

Macbook pro (early 2011). No troubles like this before. I don't have Time Machine and am not connected to any auto backup system.

The frozen file is sitting on my desktop. Here's how it looks right now:

User uploaded file

Many thanks for your help!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), QuickTime Player 7

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 7:25 PM

1 reply

Sep 4, 2015 5:07 AM in response to Radiana

Okay, I found the file. The key was in this article -- searching for /private/var/folders via the Go to Folder menu in the Finder. The whole file string for me was /private/var/folders/6b/zn_and a long string/T/TemporaryItems/
6b + the long z string are different for different people. T/TemporaryItems/ is the goldmine.

I had been searching by date of creation rather than date of mod. Once I switched to date of mod I found it. However, the file is not readable. That same article lists a conversion service, which is pricey (file is over an hour). Another article I found later two folks said their file popped up after they quit QT. Tried that, too, no dice.

Sooo new question--any idea how I open the file? It was an audio recording. Thanks!

Where does QuickTime Player 7 store temp files in Yosemite (10.10.5)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.