Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App store extremely slow

Hi,

Since yesterday all my App Store downloads take ages to download. A 30mb update takes 20 minutes or more. I have googled for it and found that some people have fixed it by changing DNS. It seems to work for some users and not for others like me. I must be clear in this, it's only the App Store that works slowly, the rest of the Internet on my side work at expected speed as usual (youtube, safari and all other apps and programs). This happens with my Macbook, iPhone and iPad, and both at home and at work, so it's not iDevice or a router problem.

Anyone else experiencing this issue? I'm from Spain but I have seen this behavior in other forums and other countries in the world.

Thank you,

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Also on iPhone, iPad running 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 10:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2015 1:31 PM

I have the same problem. I'm in Switzerland.

I suspect Apple have a problem with their edge servers. When I tested my download speed I was getting >160Mb/s, so I don't think it's my Internet connection.

It makes no difference whether I update via iTunes (where I should be getting >160Mb/s) or via wifi (which is slower normally, of course). I've just been away for nearly three weeks and it took ages to update my iPhone and iPad apps.

Before I went away everything was OK.

Steve

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2015 1:31 PM in response to David9000

I have the same problem. I'm in Switzerland.

I suspect Apple have a problem with their edge servers. When I tested my download speed I was getting >160Mb/s, so I don't think it's my Internet connection.

It makes no difference whether I update via iTunes (where I should be getting >160Mb/s) or via wifi (which is slower normally, of course). I've just been away for nearly three weeks and it took ages to update my iPhone and iPad apps.

Before I went away everything was OK.

Steve

Sep 10, 2015 5:02 PM in response to gizmo65

I solved the problem by following the advice in other threads, i.e. use the DNS servers from Open DNS.

My ISP is Cablecom, and I was using the Cablecom DNS servers.

Clearly something, somewhere is wrong. The Internet is supposed to be open, so requiring someone to use a specific set of DNS servers is all wrong.

I've sent an error report to Cablecom and asked them for comment, but I suspect the problem is with Apple since the same problem arises in other countries too, apparently.

Steve

App store extremely slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.