Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to troubleshoot a faulty power button on iPad Air 2?

I have just purchased a new iPad Air 2 16gb wifi from epicenter and realized the power button on the top right hand corner ain't working. i have to charge it to switch it on, and wait for the auto screen lock to lock it.

I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software issue.

read through the forum and tried to factory reset method (holding power and home button for many seconds). oddly the apple logo screen did come out even if I was to only hold the home button for a long time. BUT, the screen keeps switching between apple logo - white background and black screen, to and fro every few seconds. I didn't get the 'slide to unlock' screen as read in the forum.

Pls assist! i hope not to send in a one day old iPad Air 2 for repair.. ;(

iPad Air, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 5:29 PM

1 reply

Sep 5, 2015 7:45 AM in response to TFSG

Howdy TFSG,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

I see from your post that you're having an issue with the Sleep/Wake button on your iPad. I suggest that you go through the troubleshooting steps in the link below for support with this issue.

If the Sleep/Wake button doesn't work

On iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, the Sleep/Wake button is on the right side of the device, near the top. On earlier models, the Sleep/Wake button is on the top of the device, toward the right side.

If the Sleep/Wake button isn't working and your iOS device is on, follow these steps:

1. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button.
  2. If you see "slide to power off," turn off your device and then turn it on again.
  3. If you can't turn off your device, try to reset it.
  4. If the Sleep/Wake button still doesn't respond, follow these steps and test again:
    • Check for debris or dirt around the Sleep/Wake button and clean it with a soft cloth.
    • Remove any case or film.

If you can't turn on your iOS device, connect it to an A/C adapter. When your device is charged, try the steps above again. If the battery is extremely low on power, your device might display a black screen for up to 10 minutes (up to 20 minutes for iPad) before you see a charging indicator on the screen.

If you have an iPhone 5 and the Sleep/Wake button still isn't working, or works intermittently, you might be eligible for this replacement program.

If you've followed the steps above and the Sleep/Wake button still doesn't respond, if it works intermittently, or if it's damaged, contact Apple Support to set up service.

Get help with buttons and switches on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Have a good one.

How to troubleshoot a faulty power button on iPad Air 2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.