Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

websites don't recognize my updated browsers

I use an iMac with 2.9 GHz, 16 MB memory late 2013. Using 10.10.5 Have almost 725 GB free of 999.03 GB.

Unfortunately, I am still unable to use Safari or Firefox with some sites, sometimes including Apple. I am able to use Chrome. Safari is my preference.

As the genius found when I went to the Apple Store on July 28, 2015, I am up to date. Using 10.10.5 ; Safari 8.0.8; Firefox 40.0.3

I still get messages like this:

Your system doesn't meet the requirements to run Firefox.

One of my banks: Get a better experience on our site by updating to the current version of your browser.

Please help me fix this.

Thank you.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 6:35 PM

8 replies

Sep 3, 2015 7:12 PM in response to Margi Moul

You cannot fix this - it is the website that is designed poorly so it does not recognize your browser. Contact the site and tell them to move to the current century. I literally had to give up having online access to my account with one of my banks because their website would not recognize my Mac - they actually told me it was designed to work with Windows and I should get Explorer. I gave them an appropriate answer and moved on to another baank.

Sep 4, 2015 11:01 AM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

You cannot fix this - it is the website that is designed poorly so it does not recognize your browser. Contact the site and tell them to move to the current century. I literally had to give up having online access to my account with one of my banks because their website would not recognize my Mac - they actually told me it was designed to work with Windows and I should get Explorer. I gave them an appropriate answer and moved on to another baank.

Banks do not write their own software -- they purchase packages written for the banking industry. As in all IT updating software costs money particularly if the new version requires custom modifications put back in - or a hardware upgrade. The problem at that bank may be no-one has told the IT department mac users are having problems signing in -- or if they did -- then the IT department may not have contacted the Software vendor to find out what the problem is and if there is a fix.

Sep 4, 2015 9:20 AM in response to notcloudy

Well, whatever system/software that particular bank used, would not recognize Safari or Firefox and insisted on IE - granted that was a good 10+ years ago and they might have moved to the current century since, but my other financial (bank/investments/brokers/funds) sites worked just fine at the time so I doubt it was a "package" written for the industry as whole; I am guessing it was their own web designer as that was intimated in a conversation.

But none of that is the point - the point is that the consumer - in this case, the OP - cannot fix the problem except to report the problem to the bank/institution.

Sep 4, 2015 1:00 PM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

Well, whatever system/software that particular bank used, would not recognize Safari or Firefox and insisted on IE - granted that was a good 10+ years ago and they might have moved to the current century since, but my other financial (bank/investments/brokers/funds) sites worked just fine at the time so I doubt it was a "package" written for the industry as whole; I am guessing it was their own web designer as that was intimated in a conversation.

But none of that is the point - the point is that the consumer - in this case, the OP - cannot fix the problem except to report the problem to the bank/institution.

10 plus years ago -- I think apple came with the Windows Explorer Browser - don't remember which version added Safari -- so windows explorer only does not surprise me at that time for that particular bank. If they did the design and connection themselves it was probably not a good thing to stay with them - on the other hand they may have been behind on updates to the software -- or their Internet/PC/Windows person had no clue on how to add additional browsers.

Sep 4, 2015 6:51 PM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

I was going to quote your last sentence, but Jive here is doing ridiculous glitch stuff again......

My response to your last sentence: I'd bet you are correct - I actually used to run into that quite often. But, 10 years later, Chase is still difficult to deal with.

Chase would be big bank software - - when I closed a checking account at a Big Bank - took 3 months to get it closed & I had to keep telling the manager to stop trying to fix it themselves and contact IT --- as the interactive interface was applying interest daily - while the mainframe batch process only applied it once a month -- it required some fixing by back office/it people. As they could not get the software aligned they added a paper trail - document saying you closed the account - sent to back office or IT so the account was closed on the first try.

websites don't recognize my updated browsers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.