Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Privacy issue with password needed to repair my phone

I recently had my phone repaired at the apple store at pacific centre and they asked to have my password to do a repair. I realized after they had left they have complete access to all my sensitive information on my phone. I feel this is a huge privacy and security issue.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 6:47 PM

3 replies

Sep 3, 2015 6:53 PM in response to TZA-CONCERN

I've not witnessed this behavior at any of the stores I've had service done at. Usually if something has to be done, they will ask you to open the device, or if they are going to replace the device they will have you open it and remove Find My iPhone. However some things require the device to be unlocked. I've never really worried about them accessing a device to wipe it.

What were you having done? Did you address your concern with the store Manager to try and answer your questions, or just come here to the forum?

Sep 3, 2015 9:51 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I was having my screen replaced on my iPhone 6. I raised my concerns with the store employee who apologized and said that he trusts everyone who works on the devices. This wasn't reassuring. He said next time I should erase my phone before giving it to them or ask that they test the device in front of me. Ok? But this wasn't given to me as an option when I gave them the phone. And why should I have to erase my device before giving it to them?

Sep 4, 2015 7:32 AM in response to TZA-CONCERN

Strange. My daughter had her screen replaced on her 5c and we never did anything. They just replaced the screen and the device worked perfectly afterwards. We didn't erase it, although I had taken a backup prior to the change in case it was more involved. They came out with the replaced screen and the device worked as it did before we got there. No data loss. I would be more curious and speak to a manager just to satisfy your concerns.

Privacy issue with password needed to repair my phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.